"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • So I inadvertantly created my own post-collegiate swim breakthrough... I just did my SCY season shave/taper since I can't make it to nats this year. I dropped about a tenth off last years 50 and 100 times (22.3, 48.8 respectively). The real surprise and breakthrough was the 200. Previous best in my 200 after starting masters was 1:59 in SCY (2:12 in SCM). I joined the 200y free event in my recent taper meet more as a backup to my 50 free in case I missed the turn or something, I could just get the split time in the 200 as a backup chance. Well the 50 went well so I raced the 200 normally and When I touched the wall I looked up expecting a 1:55-1:56 and saw a 1:51! (splits 25.5, 27.7, 28.6, 29.3) Obviously pleasantly surprised, especially considering i am ~250lbs and train 6000m a week. I didn't really have any expectations for this race. Collegiate pb was 1:46. This race was only 20 minutes after my 50 free, and for some odd reason I filled a goggle and swam it with one eye so I think it could've been nearing that 1:49.99 range with perfect conditions. That said, I am eyeing up that 1:46 as a true breakthrough for nats next year. :chug: I guess fat guy sprinters like me CAN fake 200's after all :) Congratulations isn't it wonderful to breakthrough like that you are capable of much faster consider: + training a little more and faster each week like 12k or even 18k + keep getting thinner & + split it a little better where you hold your last 3 50's around the same time I bet you can easily break 1:50 & you might even approach 1:45 Ande
  • So I inadvertantly created my own post-collegiate swim breakthrough... I just did my SCY season shave/taper since I can't make it to nats this year. I dropped about a tenth off last years 50 and 100 times (22.3, 48.8 respectively). The real surprise and breakthrough was the 200. Previous best in my 200 after starting masters was 1:59 in SCY (2:12 in SCM). I joined the 200y free event in my recent taper meet more as a backup to my 50 free in case I missed the turn or something, I could just get the split time in the 200 as a backup chance. Well the 50 went well so I raced the 200 normally and When I touched the wall I looked up expecting a 1:55-1:56 and saw a 1:51! (splits 25.5, 27.7, 28.6, 29.3) Obviously pleasantly surprised, especially considering i am ~250lbs and train 6000m a week. I didn't really have any expectations for this race. Collegiate pb was 1:46. This race was only 20 minutes after my 50 free, and for some odd reason I filled a goggle and swam it with one eye so I think it could've been nearing that 1:49.99 range with perfect conditions. That said, I am eyeing up that 1:46 as a true breakthrough for nats next year. :chug: I guess fat guy sprinters like me CAN fake 200's after all :) Congratulations isn't it wonderful to breakthrough like that you are capable of much faster consider: + training a little more and faster each week like 12k or even 18k + keep getting thinner & + split it a little better where you hold your last 3 50's around the same time I bet you can easily break 1:50 & you might even approach 1:45 Ande
Children
No Data