"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Anyone have a breakthrough recently? Anyone working on one? Tell us about it. What was it? How'd you do it? Ande Yes. It started at the end of the last season. I was looking at my national cuts and noticed that I wasn't too far from the 50 breaststroke cut: 32.50 (LCM). That moment I decided that the following season it would be my goal to make the cut. I made a mental plan. After that I tried to figure out some things that I had to accomplish to achieve my goal: 1. Improve my technique 2. Get stronger 3. Recover better from workouts 4. Improve mobility and soft tissue quality Number 1 is an obvious choice. I started doing more drills in practice. Main thing I changed was my kick. I started using a narrower stance with my knees and immediately noticed a huge improvement. I counted strokes. I also started improving my streamline while gliding but also off the walls. I still have a lot to change though. Number 2 has played an essential role so far. I got back to the gym and resumed weightlifting and I feel much stronger and powerful, especially off the turns. Using mainly compound movements: squats, deadlifts, pull ups, ovh pressing, glute ham raise. Number 3 was also very big for me. I overtrain very easily. I think this is because I'm generally a very bad sleeper. At the end of the previous season I was so tired I went 3 seconds slower than my best in the 100. So I decided I would nap during the day and it has worked wonders so far. I also promised myself that I would listen more to my body. I used to push myself extremely hard at least 4-5 times a week. That resulted in exhaustion very quickly. This season I'm taking it slow and steady and backing off when necessary. Number 4: I started foam rolling more often, especially the adductors (which I used to strain very easily) and the IT Band. My knee pain is pretty much gone and my legs feel much looser when kick. I have yet to suffer an injury despite swimming much more breaststroke than in previous swimming. I also made a commitment to improving my hip mobility and started doing Diesel Crew's Essential Hip mobility at least 3 times a week. Essential Hip Mobility Movements / How to Warm-up for Lower Body Workouts / Feel Better, Move Better - YouTube It's all paid off so far. In my first SCM meet, swimming in old FS-PROs and in a very bad pool I dropped a full second off my 50Br and another second off my 100. I hadn't improved those times in months. This past weekend I swam the 100 and dropped 2 more seconds. Oh, and my split was less than a tenth off my 50Br PB. :) I'm hoping that next year I manage to hit my goal. Even if I don't, I've still accomplished things that I didn't imagine were possible for me and it has renewed my love for swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Anyone have a breakthrough recently? Anyone working on one? Tell us about it. What was it? How'd you do it? Ande Yes. It started at the end of the last season. I was looking at my national cuts and noticed that I wasn't too far from the 50 breaststroke cut: 32.50 (LCM). That moment I decided that the following season it would be my goal to make the cut. I made a mental plan. After that I tried to figure out some things that I had to accomplish to achieve my goal: 1. Improve my technique 2. Get stronger 3. Recover better from workouts 4. Improve mobility and soft tissue quality Number 1 is an obvious choice. I started doing more drills in practice. Main thing I changed was my kick. I started using a narrower stance with my knees and immediately noticed a huge improvement. I counted strokes. I also started improving my streamline while gliding but also off the walls. I still have a lot to change though. Number 2 has played an essential role so far. I got back to the gym and resumed weightlifting and I feel much stronger and powerful, especially off the turns. Using mainly compound movements: squats, deadlifts, pull ups, ovh pressing, glute ham raise. Number 3 was also very big for me. I overtrain very easily. I think this is because I'm generally a very bad sleeper. At the end of the previous season I was so tired I went 3 seconds slower than my best in the 100. So I decided I would nap during the day and it has worked wonders so far. I also promised myself that I would listen more to my body. I used to push myself extremely hard at least 4-5 times a week. That resulted in exhaustion very quickly. This season I'm taking it slow and steady and backing off when necessary. Number 4: I started foam rolling more often, especially the adductors (which I used to strain very easily) and the IT Band. My knee pain is pretty much gone and my legs feel much looser when kick. I have yet to suffer an injury despite swimming much more breaststroke than in previous swimming. I also made a commitment to improving my hip mobility and started doing Diesel Crew's Essential Hip mobility at least 3 times a week. Essential Hip Mobility Movements / How to Warm-up for Lower Body Workouts / Feel Better, Move Better - YouTube It's all paid off so far. In my first SCM meet, swimming in old FS-PROs and in a very bad pool I dropped a full second off my 50Br and another second off my 100. I hadn't improved those times in months. This past weekend I swam the 100 and dropped 2 more seconds. Oh, and my split was less than a tenth off my 50Br PB. :) I'm hoping that next year I manage to hit my goal. Even if I don't, I've still accomplished things that I didn't imagine were possible for me and it has renewed my love for swimming.
Children
No Data