"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Hey Elaine - I just watched the video ' cos I'm nosey :blush:. First off :applaud: for doing the 200 *** (one event I have no desire to do) and :applaud: for hanging in there! Two things I noticed were: 1. You appear quite shallow coming out of your start and turns and seem to start the kick before your arms have pulled back completely. It looks like you're not getting as much distance off the walls as you should be able to. 2. Going into the wall you had to take a mini-stroke a couple of times. I know its easy to say end on a full extension and harder in practice, but I try and judge if I'm going to make the wall in 8 strokes from about 1/2 way down the length. Then if I realise I'm not and will need 9 strokes, I can adjust the 2 or 3 strokes going into the wall so those 3 are slightly quicker rather than 2 full stretch strokes and 1 tiny one. I do the same on my fly - perhaps that's how I picked up that habit? Now back to Ande and any breaststrokers............ Thanks, 'Fly! Hey, be nosey all you want; I appreciate the feedback! :D Your right about my starts and turns being shallow. I can't see to get my hips up on the starts! :bitching: On my turns, I've worked on deeper turns in practice, but they fall apart in a race when I'm tired and desperate to come up for air! I need to keep working on that- thanks! As for my early kick, is that just on the pullout or in my stroke? 2. The mini-strokes: :bitching: :bitching:!!! That normally doesn't happen! This is the first meet I've encountered that little nightmare... I'll work on avoiding that in this weekend's meet!
  • Hey Elaine - I just watched the video ' cos I'm nosey :blush:. First off :applaud: for doing the 200 *** (one event I have no desire to do) and :applaud: for hanging in there! Two things I noticed were: 1. You appear quite shallow coming out of your start and turns and seem to start the kick before your arms have pulled back completely. It looks like you're not getting as much distance off the walls as you should be able to. 2. Going into the wall you had to take a mini-stroke a couple of times. I know its easy to say end on a full extension and harder in practice, but I try and judge if I'm going to make the wall in 8 strokes from about 1/2 way down the length. Then if I realise I'm not and will need 9 strokes, I can adjust the 2 or 3 strokes going into the wall so those 3 are slightly quicker rather than 2 full stretch strokes and 1 tiny one. I do the same on my fly - perhaps that's how I picked up that habit? Now back to Ande and any breaststrokers............ Thanks, 'Fly! Hey, be nosey all you want; I appreciate the feedback! :D Your right about my starts and turns being shallow. I can't see to get my hips up on the starts! :bitching: On my turns, I've worked on deeper turns in practice, but they fall apart in a race when I'm tired and desperate to come up for air! I need to keep working on that- thanks! As for my early kick, is that just on the pullout or in my stroke? 2. The mini-strokes: :bitching: :bitching:!!! That normally doesn't happen! This is the first meet I've encountered that little nightmare... I'll work on avoiding that in this weekend's meet!
Children
No Data