"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • congratulations ElainiaK, I am so proud of you, you made your 50 time and I'm confident you will get your 100 & 200 times as well 1) are you weight training or working on strength? 2) continue with your technique work 3) continue with your conditioning 4) I was completely unaware of your "thoracic outlet syndrome problems" I believe you would swim much faster in a fabric tech suit knee skin like a speedo pro or something similar my suggestion for you would be to only put the straps up over your shoulder when you race, don't even have them up when you warm up and warm down just throw another suit over your tech suit 2010 Approved Womens Tech Suits 2010 Approved Mens Tech Suits I'm not a doc and don't know if that's workable but it might & you would swim much faster in a kneeskin. Very proud of you and keep going for more. Ande Ande, I responded to this post, but now I have a question pertaining to #3. Background: As I mentioned in my previous reply to this, I have been swimming 5-6 days per week, 1-1/2 hours each time, since joining USMS, in February. (Before that, I was swimming 4 times per week for fitness and doing dryland 3 times per week.) I have mostly followed the recommendations in the book, "Mastering Swimming" for my swim workouts. And, I mix in sets my part-time coach specifically recommended for breaststroke. My times have improved quite a bit, so I am happy with my progress so far. I have also been able to get my resting heart rate down from 68 to 58. When I do my dryland workouts, I have to work very hard to get my heart rate up to the maximum for my age (48). Walking at 4.8 mph on the treadmill won't do it and I look like a crazy woman trying to get my heart rate up on the eliptical or recumbent bike! So, I have no problems there; especially since the gym is kept at 68 degrees. So, finally, my question: Is it the 84 degree water temperature that makes it so difficult to keep my heart rate down in the 16-20 beats (per 10 seconds) range I am supposed to stay in for my endurance and recovery swim days? Sometimes, I feel like if I swim any slower I am going to sink! But, keeping my heart rate down is difficult. And, I'm trying to follow the conditioning recommendations detailed in "Mastering Swimming". I asked my doctor about the risks to my heart going above the maximum heart rate recommended for my age, when I'm swimming sprints, and he said not to be concerned. My blood pressure and EKG are excellent, as is the rest of my health and fitness level, so he is not worried about it. But, I do want to be in the best swimming and racing condition possible, so I would like to know if you or anybody else out there has some knowledge or experience in this area. Assuming it's the high water temperature causing my increased heart rate, even when I swim slow, do you have any advice? Are there any training ideas you have? As I have mentioned in other threads, swimming at another pool is not a realistic (or affordable) option for me. So, I have to make the best of the 84 degree water at our community pool. Thanks, Ande, and anybody else who may be able to help!
  • congratulations ElainiaK, I am so proud of you, you made your 50 time and I'm confident you will get your 100 & 200 times as well 1) are you weight training or working on strength? 2) continue with your technique work 3) continue with your conditioning 4) I was completely unaware of your "thoracic outlet syndrome problems" I believe you would swim much faster in a fabric tech suit knee skin like a speedo pro or something similar my suggestion for you would be to only put the straps up over your shoulder when you race, don't even have them up when you warm up and warm down just throw another suit over your tech suit 2010 Approved Womens Tech Suits 2010 Approved Mens Tech Suits I'm not a doc and don't know if that's workable but it might & you would swim much faster in a kneeskin. Very proud of you and keep going for more. Ande Ande, I responded to this post, but now I have a question pertaining to #3. Background: As I mentioned in my previous reply to this, I have been swimming 5-6 days per week, 1-1/2 hours each time, since joining USMS, in February. (Before that, I was swimming 4 times per week for fitness and doing dryland 3 times per week.) I have mostly followed the recommendations in the book, "Mastering Swimming" for my swim workouts. And, I mix in sets my part-time coach specifically recommended for breaststroke. My times have improved quite a bit, so I am happy with my progress so far. I have also been able to get my resting heart rate down from 68 to 58. When I do my dryland workouts, I have to work very hard to get my heart rate up to the maximum for my age (48). Walking at 4.8 mph on the treadmill won't do it and I look like a crazy woman trying to get my heart rate up on the eliptical or recumbent bike! So, I have no problems there; especially since the gym is kept at 68 degrees. So, finally, my question: Is it the 84 degree water temperature that makes it so difficult to keep my heart rate down in the 16-20 beats (per 10 seconds) range I am supposed to stay in for my endurance and recovery swim days? Sometimes, I feel like if I swim any slower I am going to sink! But, keeping my heart rate down is difficult. And, I'm trying to follow the conditioning recommendations detailed in "Mastering Swimming". I asked my doctor about the risks to my heart going above the maximum heart rate recommended for my age, when I'm swimming sprints, and he said not to be concerned. My blood pressure and EKG are excellent, as is the rest of my health and fitness level, so he is not worried about it. But, I do want to be in the best swimming and racing condition possible, so I would like to know if you or anybody else out there has some knowledge or experience in this area. Assuming it's the high water temperature causing my increased heart rate, even when I swim slow, do you have any advice? Are there any training ideas you have? As I have mentioned in other threads, swimming at another pool is not a realistic (or affordable) option for me. So, I have to make the best of the 84 degree water at our community pool. Thanks, Ande, and anybody else who may be able to help!
Children
No Data