"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • here's links to "Help My ____ is Horrible" kick, SDK & Speed they'll help you get faster Swim Faster Faster Allen, Michael, Ande: Many thanks for the response. The pace clocks where I swim are analog with skinny second hands; I have trouble reading them from any distance, especially quickly. I don't have a digital watch for the pool, but have resolved to get one. I'll look into the snorkel. Thirty years ago in high school I was around 23 flat in the 50 and 51ish in the 100 free; since my return to the pool in 2006 I'm stuck at high 27s and 1:02/3 in the 100. Seems I ought to be able to get under 27 and 1:00 in the 100. At the moment I'm less concerned about the 100 than the 50; I would just like to feel fast. Recent 25s feel faster, so I'm out to build on that. I have really invested in stroke improvement, now I want to convert that investment into lower times. I will try the more frequent sprinting with times to establish a baseline, then measure progress. The frequency suggestions are helpful; clearly I will have to become more focused about this to make progress. I'll report back when I have news. Ande, don't know if those times above provide enough information to identify goals for 25s, but if so I'm all ears. I do better with tangible measurements than atmospheric / sensory ones. Thanks again!
  • here's links to "Help My ____ is Horrible" kick, SDK & Speed they'll help you get faster Swim Faster Faster Allen, Michael, Ande: Many thanks for the response. The pace clocks where I swim are analog with skinny second hands; I have trouble reading them from any distance, especially quickly. I don't have a digital watch for the pool, but have resolved to get one. I'll look into the snorkel. Thirty years ago in high school I was around 23 flat in the 50 and 51ish in the 100 free; since my return to the pool in 2006 I'm stuck at high 27s and 1:02/3 in the 100. Seems I ought to be able to get under 27 and 1:00 in the 100. At the moment I'm less concerned about the 100 than the 50; I would just like to feel fast. Recent 25s feel faster, so I'm out to build on that. I have really invested in stroke improvement, now I want to convert that investment into lower times. I will try the more frequent sprinting with times to establish a baseline, then measure progress. The frequency suggestions are helpful; clearly I will have to become more focused about this to make progress. I'll report back when I have news. Ande, don't know if those times above provide enough information to identify goals for 25s, but if so I'm all ears. I do better with tangible measurements than atmospheric / sensory ones. Thanks again!
Children
No Data