"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I have not posted in a good while, but have gotten consistently valuable advice from Ande and others, often indirectly. I love this forum. Beginning several years ago I began trying to rebuild my freestyle stroke. My form was generally okay, but my timing was poor–no “front quadrant”–more like opposing arms on a windmill. I worked with a coach, and I changed the stroke to a significant degree but it hasn’t really changed my speed. Meanwhile I have been working on other strokes and making progress there. The same coach worked with me on my backstroke, which was (is) horrendous. I swim IM to keep from getting bored, both in practice and in occasional competition. So here’s the thing: one day, while trying to get my backstroke to work I was using fins to keep me moving a little more efficiently while I worked out what my hips, shoulders and arms should be doing. Somehow, the extra propulsion from the fins made it possible to time the stroke better, and–boink!–suddenly I got it. The relationship between the action of my arms seemed related in a new way. I immediately turned over and tried it on my front. Same thing: suddenly, I was “climbing the rope.” I felt like a completely different swimmer, like I was literally crawling over the water. It was crazy. An epiphany. Since that time I have been able to recreate that feeling without fins for relatively short distances. My timing is way better when I don’t breathe, so once I get to breathing every stroke I lose the feeling, I think because I pull the trigger on my right arm too quickly when I breathe to my left. Anyway, I do feel different on sprints, and I am trying to figure out an approach for dropping time in my 50 free. When I have swum it in meets I have tended to feel like I’m fighting the water. So I know I have to do more sprinting in practice. I swim with folks who are mostly fitness swimmers. It’s a bit awkward to do sprints. But I can figure that out. Here is my basic question (sorry it’s taken this long to get to it!) How often should I sprint in practice? I know that I need to improve my 25 first. Specifically, how many times a week, assuming 4 to 5 workouts per, approximately 2500 to 3000 yards? Secondarily, can I use the fins sometimes to reinforce the proper rhythm? I mean this less as a sprinting question than a drilling one. Finally, does anybody know of a realistic way to self-time 25 yard sprints? Thanks in advance!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I have not posted in a good while, but have gotten consistently valuable advice from Ande and others, often indirectly. I love this forum. Beginning several years ago I began trying to rebuild my freestyle stroke. My form was generally okay, but my timing was poor–no “front quadrant”–more like opposing arms on a windmill. I worked with a coach, and I changed the stroke to a significant degree but it hasn’t really changed my speed. Meanwhile I have been working on other strokes and making progress there. The same coach worked with me on my backstroke, which was (is) horrendous. I swim IM to keep from getting bored, both in practice and in occasional competition. So here’s the thing: one day, while trying to get my backstroke to work I was using fins to keep me moving a little more efficiently while I worked out what my hips, shoulders and arms should be doing. Somehow, the extra propulsion from the fins made it possible to time the stroke better, and–boink!–suddenly I got it. The relationship between the action of my arms seemed related in a new way. I immediately turned over and tried it on my front. Same thing: suddenly, I was “climbing the rope.” I felt like a completely different swimmer, like I was literally crawling over the water. It was crazy. An epiphany. Since that time I have been able to recreate that feeling without fins for relatively short distances. My timing is way better when I don’t breathe, so once I get to breathing every stroke I lose the feeling, I think because I pull the trigger on my right arm too quickly when I breathe to my left. Anyway, I do feel different on sprints, and I am trying to figure out an approach for dropping time in my 50 free. When I have swum it in meets I have tended to feel like I’m fighting the water. So I know I have to do more sprinting in practice. I swim with folks who are mostly fitness swimmers. It’s a bit awkward to do sprints. But I can figure that out. Here is my basic question (sorry it’s taken this long to get to it!) How often should I sprint in practice? I know that I need to improve my 25 first. Specifically, how many times a week, assuming 4 to 5 workouts per, approximately 2500 to 3000 yards? Secondarily, can I use the fins sometimes to reinforce the proper rhythm? I mean this less as a sprinting question than a drilling one. Finally, does anybody know of a realistic way to self-time 25 yard sprints? Thanks in advance!
Children
No Data