"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Well, I had a minor swimming breakthrough (but major to me :D), when I made NQT in the 50yd breaststroke (exactly!). My next goal is to make it in both the 100yd and 200yd breaststroke. I have a long way to go, but if I build up my endurance, I can do it. Training in a 84 degree pool makes it difficult, so I plan on driving the (almost) hour round-trip to the Steve Lundquist Aquatic Center to swim one of my 5 swimming days each week. Meanwhile, in the community pool, I'm doing more and more of Allen's breaststroke drills to strengthen and improve my stroke. And, I "race" the 200yd breaststroke every session, after I warm up. I will add the 100yd it on my sprint days. In addition to Allen's tips and working a couple of times each month with a coach, the biggest help has been having my husband film me once per week. The camera never lies! So, it's a great way to check my stroke and turns for flaws. Good luck, Ande, as well as the rest of you with making major breakthroughs in your swimming! :cheerleader: P.S. 'Fly, I wore my new suit in the PTC Pentathlon where I got my NQT. It isn't a tech suit (it's just a nylon/lycra suit), so there was no advantage there, but it sure was comfortable!
  • Well, I had a minor swimming breakthrough (but major to me :D), when I made NQT in the 50yd breaststroke (exactly!). My next goal is to make it in both the 100yd and 200yd breaststroke. I have a long way to go, but if I build up my endurance, I can do it. Training in a 84 degree pool makes it difficult, so I plan on driving the (almost) hour round-trip to the Steve Lundquist Aquatic Center to swim one of my 5 swimming days each week. Meanwhile, in the community pool, I'm doing more and more of Allen's breaststroke drills to strengthen and improve my stroke. And, I "race" the 200yd breaststroke every session, after I warm up. I will add the 100yd it on my sprint days. In addition to Allen's tips and working a couple of times each month with a coach, the biggest help has been having my husband film me once per week. The camera never lies! So, it's a great way to check my stroke and turns for flaws. Good luck, Ande, as well as the rest of you with making major breakthroughs in your swimming! :cheerleader: P.S. 'Fly, I wore my new suit in the PTC Pentathlon where I got my NQT. It isn't a tech suit (it's just a nylon/lycra suit), so there was no advantage there, but it sure was comfortable!
Children
No Data