"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Ande: I had a big breakthrough, but need to know where to go. I dropped my timed 100 but 10 seconds since last week!:party2: Now I won't be changing my Login name...yet, but I'm getting there. The breakthrough: Last week, I was swimming 20 x 100's trying to figure out how to slow my stroke rate AND get more distance per stroke. I came to the blinding flash of the obvious that if I glide more then my kick will get me more DPS. Unfortunately, I have a weak kick so it didn't seem that I would make great gains, but I gave it a shot. When I started gliding what I found what I had time to finish my stroke and actually "felt" the water all the way until my hand was by my side. Its not quite "first quadrant" swimming, just a more defined glide/pause with the lead hand. It wore me out! Today I did fewer, but faster repeat 100s and finished with my timed 100. I really felt fast in the water. That is new for me. I wasn't as worn out as Friday but I could definitely feel it in my rear delts and back/ribs below my shoulder blades. I guess these muscles have been neglected in the 21 months of my swimming. Is this a breakthrough or am I just getting closer to how I'm supposed to swim? :help:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Ande: I had a big breakthrough, but need to know where to go. I dropped my timed 100 but 10 seconds since last week!:party2: Now I won't be changing my Login name...yet, but I'm getting there. The breakthrough: Last week, I was swimming 20 x 100's trying to figure out how to slow my stroke rate AND get more distance per stroke. I came to the blinding flash of the obvious that if I glide more then my kick will get me more DPS. Unfortunately, I have a weak kick so it didn't seem that I would make great gains, but I gave it a shot. When I started gliding what I found what I had time to finish my stroke and actually "felt" the water all the way until my hand was by my side. Its not quite "first quadrant" swimming, just a more defined glide/pause with the lead hand. It wore me out! Today I did fewer, but faster repeat 100s and finished with my timed 100. I really felt fast in the water. That is new for me. I wasn't as worn out as Friday but I could definitely feel it in my rear delts and back/ribs below my shoulder blades. I guess these muscles have been neglected in the 21 months of my swimming. Is this a breakthrough or am I just getting closer to how I'm supposed to swim? :help:
Children
No Data