"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Who appointed you arbiter of what's "wrong" inasmuch as the rulesmakers in their infinite wisdom say it's right? I'm training and competing in 400 IMs and 200 Flys at the age of 55. Never done 200 Flys in my life. Hadn't done 400 IMs in 15 years. Never would have dreamed in my teens or 20s that I'd be swimming with as much joy and committment in my 50s as I am. I've never enjoyed either stroke as much, nor been so excited about doing them as I am now. Given that we do this for health and happiness, what's "wrong" about that? You have now inspired in me an Evil Plan. I'll make it my new mission to teach Whip-kick Fly to hundreds, nay thousands, of adult ButterStrugglers. Resistance is futile! I didn't think I had to be appointed to have an opinion. Which is all it is. But really, most rulemakers (in their human, fallible wisdom) are against it: it was grandfathered into masters because some people still swimming learned The Ugly Stroke when that was how you did it. We progress. We make things better. We separate The Awesomest Stroke from The Stroke of Doom. And I think it is unfair to competitors and especially to flyers! I think breastroke is hard and slow and miserable. So, you know, I don't swim the 200 *** and rant to myself when I reach that leg on an IM. But that breastrokes don't have to suffer when what I am better at comes up? It makes me cranky. It isn't the end of the world.
  • Who appointed you arbiter of what's "wrong" inasmuch as the rulesmakers in their infinite wisdom say it's right? I'm training and competing in 400 IMs and 200 Flys at the age of 55. Never done 200 Flys in my life. Hadn't done 400 IMs in 15 years. Never would have dreamed in my teens or 20s that I'd be swimming with as much joy and committment in my 50s as I am. I've never enjoyed either stroke as much, nor been so excited about doing them as I am now. Given that we do this for health and happiness, what's "wrong" about that? You have now inspired in me an Evil Plan. I'll make it my new mission to teach Whip-kick Fly to hundreds, nay thousands, of adult ButterStrugglers. Resistance is futile! I didn't think I had to be appointed to have an opinion. Which is all it is. But really, most rulemakers (in their human, fallible wisdom) are against it: it was grandfathered into masters because some people still swimming learned The Ugly Stroke when that was how you did it. We progress. We make things better. We separate The Awesomest Stroke from The Stroke of Doom. And I think it is unfair to competitors and especially to flyers! I think breastroke is hard and slow and miserable. So, you know, I don't swim the 200 *** and rant to myself when I reach that leg on an IM. But that breastrokes don't have to suffer when what I am better at comes up? It makes me cranky. It isn't the end of the world.
Children
No Data