"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Terry, I appreciate all of your reading up and experiences with swimming, but I would not, had I been you, told someone to read or revisit the history of Swimming 101. That is not a good way to preface knowledge if you are trying to get someone to listen. On the other hand and I am in agreement with you, I DO remember that the whip kick (frog kick) was used with Butterly for years and years. Also along these lines, backstroke was swum using the double arm-pull which I know was legal in Masters at least up until 1995. And many older people need to use variations so they can enjoy swimming. And now that I am that "older" person, I may eventually have to start using these variations to continue with my lifelong commitment to swimming. Time will tell. I apologize to the folks here on getting off topic. Let's get back to how and what needs to be done to have a major swimming breakthrough. My answer to this is pretty common yet vague: more swimming, better technique, lots of heart and determination, and body strength. And for each person the timeframe will be different. I don't have a magical answer to this huge question. My breakthroughs came after I was lifting a lot of weight, but I thank the lord that I had two world class coaches as I learned technical swimming and hip rotation early in the 60s. I also don't believe there is just "one way" to swim correctly even though I may be dodging bullets by some for saying this. Keeping a person's stroke as natural as it can be for them and tweaking it to fall within that range of technical swimming can create a a beautiful and comfortable swim stroke for an individual. So, does anyone have things they have done to help them break that "barrier?" Happy swimming, Donna
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Terry, I appreciate all of your reading up and experiences with swimming, but I would not, had I been you, told someone to read or revisit the history of Swimming 101. That is not a good way to preface knowledge if you are trying to get someone to listen. On the other hand and I am in agreement with you, I DO remember that the whip kick (frog kick) was used with Butterly for years and years. Also along these lines, backstroke was swum using the double arm-pull which I know was legal in Masters at least up until 1995. And many older people need to use variations so they can enjoy swimming. And now that I am that "older" person, I may eventually have to start using these variations to continue with my lifelong commitment to swimming. Time will tell. I apologize to the folks here on getting off topic. Let's get back to how and what needs to be done to have a major swimming breakthrough. My answer to this is pretty common yet vague: more swimming, better technique, lots of heart and determination, and body strength. And for each person the timeframe will be different. I don't have a magical answer to this huge question. My breakthroughs came after I was lifting a lot of weight, but I thank the lord that I had two world class coaches as I learned technical swimming and hip rotation early in the 60s. I also don't believe there is just "one way" to swim correctly even though I may be dodging bullets by some for saying this. Keeping a person's stroke as natural as it can be for them and tweaking it to fall within that range of technical swimming can create a a beautiful and comfortable swim stroke for an individual. So, does anyone have things they have done to help them break that "barrier?" Happy swimming, Donna
Children
No Data