Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Since I've gleaned so much swim "gossip" at my last few swim meets, I'd thought I'd share my latest horror story about overbearing swim parents. Swimmer A and two siblings (B & C) have been swimming for Team X for 5 years. Swimmer A is an outstanding nationally ranked swimmer, setting records in my LMSC. Swimmer C was #1 in the nation last year in an event. Swimmer B is also a talented swimmer, swimming in JOs every year. Parents of A, B, and C are very controlling. Very involved in their kids practices, times, etc. Lecturing if times don't live up to their notions. Swimmer A turned 13 and became "distracted," starting loafing at practices, didn't try hard, set a bad example and still expected to do well at meets. Swimmer A had been warned by his coach that this behavior was unacceptable if he wanted to continue to succeed. Instead, his times plateaued or worsened and he did not have a stellar short course year. At the end of the year award banquet for his team, he did not win the Outstanding Swimmer Award in his age goup. Parents, who hosted the banquet, were enraged. Coach explained that he did not want to give such an award to someone that was not working in practice. Parents were still enraged and demanded an award; coach respectfully declines. Coach had coached Swimmers A, B. and C for 5 years, including private lessons, and obviously was instrumental in their success. Parents do not care. They try to switch all 3 kids to the other head coach on the USS team. The other head coach doesn't want to coach them. So they put all 3 kids on a new team in the middle of the long course season. Swimmers B and C cry at meets because they are not swimming with their long time coach. Swimmers A, B and C, so far, are well off their times and not having good long course seasons. I hate parents like this, blaming the coach instead of their own son. (Oh, I know for a fact that Swimmer A's behavior is as described. No hearsay or elaboration on that score.)
  • Since I've gleaned so much swim "gossip" at my last few swim meets, I'd thought I'd share my latest horror story about overbearing swim parents. Swimmer A and two siblings (B & C) have been swimming for Team X for 5 years. Swimmer A is an outstanding nationally ranked swimmer, setting records in my LMSC. Swimmer C was #1 in the nation last year in an event. Swimmer B is also a talented swimmer, swimming in JOs every year. Parents of A, B, and C are very controlling. Very involved in their kids practices, times, etc. Lecturing if times don't live up to their notions. Swimmer A turned 13 and became "distracted," starting loafing at practices, didn't try hard, set a bad example and still expected to do well at meets. Swimmer A had been warned by his coach that this behavior was unacceptable if he wanted to continue to succeed. Instead, his times plateaued or worsened and he did not have a stellar short course year. At the end of the year award banquet for his team, he did not win the Outstanding Swimmer Award in his age goup. Parents, who hosted the banquet, were enraged. Coach explained that he did not want to give such an award to someone that was not working in practice. Parents were still enraged and demanded an award; coach respectfully declines. Coach had coached Swimmers A, B. and C for 5 years, including private lessons, and obviously was instrumental in their success. Parents do not care. They try to switch all 3 kids to the other head coach on the USS team. The other head coach doesn't want to coach them. So they put all 3 kids on a new team in the middle of the long course season. Swimmers B and C cry at meets because they are not swimming with their long time coach. Swimmers A, B and C, so far, are well off their times and not having good long course seasons. I hate parents like this, blaming the coach instead of their own son. (Oh, I know for a fact that Swimmer A's behavior is as described. No hearsay or elaboration on that score.)
Children
No Data