Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Poolrat: Thank you for the response. I see that you have truly abandoned your running compulsion for a new one. (I have done the same.) I applaud you. My daughter is on an fairly new emerging team in our area (which is 400+ swimmers) -- an area typically dominated by Curl-Burke -- so I think they should have noticed and been surprised if she wasn't on their meet entry lists and emailed me. (Especially since they know she has now thankfully given up that sport called travel soccer.) And I thought they might be interested in team scoring and relays. (Who're they gonna get to swim what Peter Cruise affectionately calls that "progressive" breaststroke stroke?) I think the coaches were all at a travel meet last weekend and didn't respond to my emails and it all fell through the cracks. My daughter is more frustrated than me. She had her heart set on swimming a couple new events and prepping for the championship meets in December by swimming the 200 ***. I'm thinking I can sleep in and not schlep to MD if she doesn't swim...
  • Poolrat: Thank you for the response. I see that you have truly abandoned your running compulsion for a new one. (I have done the same.) I applaud you. My daughter is on an fairly new emerging team in our area (which is 400+ swimmers) -- an area typically dominated by Curl-Burke -- so I think they should have noticed and been surprised if she wasn't on their meet entry lists and emailed me. (Especially since they know she has now thankfully given up that sport called travel soccer.) And I thought they might be interested in team scoring and relays. (Who're they gonna get to swim what Peter Cruise affectionately calls that "progressive" breaststroke stroke?) I think the coaches were all at a travel meet last weekend and didn't respond to my emails and it all fell through the cracks. My daughter is more frustrated than me. She had her heart set on swimming a couple new events and prepping for the championship meets in December by swimming the 200 ***. I'm thinking I can sleep in and not schlep to MD if she doesn't swim...
Children
No Data