Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Sprinter, talk to your coach and have the coach contact the meet entry chair. this is very common(I know, I am the meet entry chair to our meets), and most times they are very understanding, especially if entries have not closed for the meet yet. It is good that you have a way to check entries, it sounds like your team now needs a some way to fix the problems when parents find them. Having gone through this the last 4 years, we are still struggling, but things are improving. We have the coach actually ask for the entries and close it before the meet entries open. Then these get posted for the parents to check, and problems can be fixed before the entries are sent. In defense of the coaches, they have parents contacting them constantly with late entries, and this can mess them up. Many coaches are not good at administration, and sometimes it is wise to get a computer savvy parent to help with these things.
  • Sprinter, talk to your coach and have the coach contact the meet entry chair. this is very common(I know, I am the meet entry chair to our meets), and most times they are very understanding, especially if entries have not closed for the meet yet. It is good that you have a way to check entries, it sounds like your team now needs a some way to fix the problems when parents find them. Having gone through this the last 4 years, we are still struggling, but things are improving. We have the coach actually ask for the entries and close it before the meet entries open. Then these get posted for the parents to check, and problems can be fixed before the entries are sent. In defense of the coaches, they have parents contacting them constantly with late entries, and this can mess them up. Many coaches are not good at administration, and sometimes it is wise to get a computer savvy parent to help with these things.
Children
No Data