Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • 8 page emails every week re her son's 'progress' and what she thinks should be next in his training regimen. Peter: Now this is truly hideous as well. Maybe you should share some of the anecdotes on this thread with him, so he realizes how prevalent the "overbearing" parent is. Maybe the USS team should make clear that they don't want parent emails regarding training. In our team handbook there is a section dealing with "the growing intrusion of parents" that reprints an article from Splash magazine on this topic. It also gives "positive parenting tips" and lists the "10 Commandments" of swimming by Rose Snyder. Among those commandments are "thou shalt not coach thy child" and "honor they child's coach." Maybe that would help the poor guy. I hope they don't drum him out of the sport. Thankfully, I can honestly say that the only email I have ever sent to my daughter's coach is a list of her events for a meet -- events she picks out.
  • 8 page emails every week re her son's 'progress' and what she thinks should be next in his training regimen. Peter: Now this is truly hideous as well. Maybe you should share some of the anecdotes on this thread with him, so he realizes how prevalent the "overbearing" parent is. Maybe the USS team should make clear that they don't want parent emails regarding training. In our team handbook there is a section dealing with "the growing intrusion of parents" that reprints an article from Splash magazine on this topic. It also gives "positive parenting tips" and lists the "10 Commandments" of swimming by Rose Snyder. Among those commandments are "thou shalt not coach thy child" and "honor they child's coach." Maybe that would help the poor guy. I hope they don't drum him out of the sport. Thankfully, I can honestly say that the only email I have ever sent to my daughter's coach is a list of her events for a meet -- events she picks out.
Children
No Data