Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    When I was little, I was afraid of water. My friends would make fun of me, and I would cry very often during summer camps. Then I learned that I could float in a 18 inches deep pool in our backyard. As soon as I realized I could float, I immediately learned to swim. One day, I went to a 50m pool in Quebec. I jumped in the pool and performed unlimited number of length the head outside the water. A lifeguard get off his chair, came and told me that I'd better put my face in the water and turn on the side to breathe. I did 56 length that way, so happy that I could finally swim. This lifeguard looked at my amazing performance (I swam for maybe 3hours in a row). He invited me to summer swim camp. My parents said yes, as I could go there by myself riding my bike anyway. Then came automn. The coach wanted me to join the team (3-5 mornings a week). I told him my parents would never say yes. He came in person at my place to ask my father. His answer was a definite NO, saying that he didn't want to drive me there. See you next summer... "maybe" he said... I wish I had more pressure to swim back then. I became a juvenile deliquent few years after.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    When I was little, I was afraid of water. My friends would make fun of me, and I would cry very often during summer camps. Then I learned that I could float in a 18 inches deep pool in our backyard. As soon as I realized I could float, I immediately learned to swim. One day, I went to a 50m pool in Quebec. I jumped in the pool and performed unlimited number of length the head outside the water. A lifeguard get off his chair, came and told me that I'd better put my face in the water and turn on the side to breathe. I did 56 length that way, so happy that I could finally swim. This lifeguard looked at my amazing performance (I swam for maybe 3hours in a row). He invited me to summer swim camp. My parents said yes, as I could go there by myself riding my bike anyway. Then came automn. The coach wanted me to join the team (3-5 mornings a week). I told him my parents would never say yes. He came in person at my place to ask my father. His answer was a definite NO, saying that he didn't want to drive me there. See you next summer... "maybe" he said... I wish I had more pressure to swim back then. I became a juvenile deliquent few years after.
Children
No Data