Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Leslie- I shudder at them, but great examples. I talk quite a bit to the local age-group coach (who was our coach as well last year, but a cabal of age-group parents forced him to give it up as a 'conflict of interest') & he is pestered by parents demanding more yardage, demanding that their children be entered in events that they are plainly unready for, shouting nonsensical techique instructions at their kids during workout. One parent routinely sends him 8 page emails every week re her son's 'progress' and what she thinks should be next in his training regimen. I have seen the emails & have observed the other behaviors while waiting for my workouts; he is a young guy, full of good ideas, but these parents could kill coaching for him.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Leslie- I shudder at them, but great examples. I talk quite a bit to the local age-group coach (who was our coach as well last year, but a cabal of age-group parents forced him to give it up as a 'conflict of interest') & he is pestered by parents demanding more yardage, demanding that their children be entered in events that they are plainly unready for, shouting nonsensical techique instructions at their kids during workout. One parent routinely sends him 8 page emails every week re her son's 'progress' and what she thinks should be next in his training regimen. I have seen the emails & have observed the other behaviors while waiting for my workouts; he is a young guy, full of good ideas, but these parents could kill coaching for him.
Children
No Data