Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • When my son was 8, I finally went in to the men's lockerroom to get him. My then 3 year old daughter and I waited around at the college pool for 45 minutes for him to get out of there. I knew there was no men in there, just him and another boy from the team. They were sitting on the bench in their shorts, shirt and shoes not on yet, yakking. Last year my daughter(now 13) was always the last out of the shower, and the girls would come out one at a time and tell me she was in the shower singing. Now if a girl asks me who my daughter is, I tell them, and if they don't recognize the name, I say, she is the one who sings all the time in the shower. They know right away who she is! This year she leaves the pool deck wet, puts her parka on and leaves, she wants to get home. Of course, with pools being broken, and being forced to swim until 9:30, and then we have to drive home from out of town, she just wants to get home.
  • When my son was 8, I finally went in to the men's lockerroom to get him. My then 3 year old daughter and I waited around at the college pool for 45 minutes for him to get out of there. I knew there was no men in there, just him and another boy from the team. They were sitting on the bench in their shorts, shirt and shoes not on yet, yakking. Last year my daughter(now 13) was always the last out of the shower, and the girls would come out one at a time and tell me she was in the shower singing. Now if a girl asks me who my daughter is, I tell them, and if they don't recognize the name, I say, she is the one who sings all the time in the shower. They know right away who she is! This year she leaves the pool deck wet, puts her parka on and leaves, she wants to get home. Of course, with pools being broken, and being forced to swim until 9:30, and then we have to drive home from out of town, she just wants to get home.
Children
No Data