Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I have a few parents who expect some sort of magical overnight improvement in their kids from our coaching staff. Making state cuts should be the mandatory reward. I guess the parents feel that everyone deserves it after all the practices they do. (half the yardage of what we did as kids by the way) For the "naturals" it's a given...but for the some of the others, it just ain't gonna happen. ....No matter how many workouts. Somehow there's a sense of entitlement for high achievement... just because they show up. (The very same parents who give them carte blanche to the vending machines after practice.) Progress takes time and requires patience....aside from good nutrition and sleep habits.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I have a few parents who expect some sort of magical overnight improvement in their kids from our coaching staff. Making state cuts should be the mandatory reward. I guess the parents feel that everyone deserves it after all the practices they do. (half the yardage of what we did as kids by the way) For the "naturals" it's a given...but for the some of the others, it just ain't gonna happen. ....No matter how many workouts. Somehow there's a sense of entitlement for high achievement... just because they show up. (The very same parents who give them carte blanche to the vending machines after practice.) Progress takes time and requires patience....aside from good nutrition and sleep habits.
Children
No Data