Overbearing Swimming Parents

George asked whether age group swimmers are being bullied/pressured into swimming by parents, coaches and friends. Are they? Are parents living out their "unfulfilled dreams" through their young ones, as Geek suggested in another thread? Share your funniest/saddest story about overbearing swim parents or coaches.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    i could go on forever about the swim parents from my club team. there was this one family, who made the coach bend the rules so that their swimmer could room with them instead of our teammates because the parents wanted to go over strategy with the swimmer, which would completely alienate that swimmer from the team. we always had so much fun at away meets rooming together, and that swimmer never got to partake in that. we always dreaded our team bonding trips because the crazy parents would insist on coming, and the "cool" parents got out voted to chaperone. we also had a few parents who would yell at the coach and said he wasn't doing his job. they formed a committee and would hold weekly meetings to discuss things of that nature (along with other normal stuff like dues). they eventually got one of our coaches fired. i personally hated swimming on a relay with the daughter of the "Crazy parents" because her parents would lecture each of us prior to the race. My parents hated that.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    i could go on forever about the swim parents from my club team. there was this one family, who made the coach bend the rules so that their swimmer could room with them instead of our teammates because the parents wanted to go over strategy with the swimmer, which would completely alienate that swimmer from the team. we always had so much fun at away meets rooming together, and that swimmer never got to partake in that. we always dreaded our team bonding trips because the crazy parents would insist on coming, and the "cool" parents got out voted to chaperone. we also had a few parents who would yell at the coach and said he wasn't doing his job. they formed a committee and would hold weekly meetings to discuss things of that nature (along with other normal stuff like dues). they eventually got one of our coaches fired. i personally hated swimming on a relay with the daughter of the "Crazy parents" because her parents would lecture each of us prior to the race. My parents hated that.
Children
No Data