How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

Former Member
Former Member
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Based on my current daily yardage or breastroke, I would say a mile would take me 7-8 months.It would take a three year calender to get my time for 100yds of breaststroke.
  • Former Member
    I wouldnt recommend doing a mile of *** everyday because its bad on the knees.
  • Former Member
    My current view of breastroke is that it is a stroke I use to cool down or to get rest in between freestyle repeats. I also "use" it when swimming my now pitifull 100 meter I.M. I come out of the backstroke so dead that I hardly do the underwater pull out (the filipine it is called here) correctly and efficiently. However, in my group, if I want to I can still be faster than most. So basically I swim backstroke and *** for the 100 (in the future maybe a 200) I.M. In my previous life or even up to last year I hadn't noticed the "knee" issue in the breastroke. Now I can feel it slightly, as I age (56). If however I were in a situation in a lake or ocean I would probably use the *** to save myself. When doing 1,000 meters (maybe 3,000 next year) open water I use the *** every now and then to get a correct sighting of the buoys or whatever. billy fanstone (from way back when you couldn't have water over your head nor do the thing under water nowadays allowed).
  • It is, however, exactly one mile (66*80 = 5280 feet). Well, maybe they did have some logic in building an 80 foot pool!! I always wondered about that!
  • Well, maybe they did have some logic in building an 80 foot pool!! I always wondered about that! What? You didn't think a 26 2/3 yard pool made sense or somethin'? ;)
  • Former Member
    May be the contractor got drunk and it was ment to be 82.02099737532808 feet, which is 25 meters
  • I think I did a 66 lengths in an 80 foot pool (so this is longer than a true 1650) in about 30 minutes. I don't have much swimming background... this is not a particularly fast time, but I was also doing it just to finish strong, not fast. This was several years ago... before my knees really started to bug me. Now, I don't think I ever do more than 1200 yds *** in any one practice and that would be all broken up (like 6x200 - maybe 3x200 ***, some freestyle, and 3x200 *** again). And then the next day I'd probably have to avoid breaststroke after a set like that. :) Jeff's times are unreal...
  • I think I did a 66 lengths in an 80 foot pool (so this is longer than a true 1650) It is, however, exactly one mile (66*80 = 5280 feet).
  • Former Member
    When I was 23, I did a 3,000-meter breaststroke (long course) three times a year. My fastest was 36 minutes. That's 18 minutes for a mile. I didn't negative split. I held 1:18 per 100 for the middle 2500. I don't recommend it unless you have a lengthy song catalogue in your head. I swim *** in-between free sets to break things up a bit...I never time myself in *** for fear of self-pity. Shoot, I can't even swim a mile of free that fast right now! :rofl: Jeff, you were an animal! :notworthy:
  • Former Member
    We swam what we call a metric mile 1650 yards = 1508 meters. I now swim the odd 1 length of breaststroke 1 dive glide and 2 pulls, no kick, thats it.