Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Fishgrrl is on the right track here. My advice to people who haven't corrected their technique by age 35 years is not to ever use paddles.If your technique is wrong you will do damage but not as much damage as swimming with poor technique does. We all make fun of Toys (crutches).I beleive kick boards and large fins are just that ,crutches.Paddles & buoys are also crutches however they have a purpose.Using the the paddles allows greater feel or pressure on the stroke and can enhance the stroke if the pressure is applied correctly at the back end of the stroke.That is a gentle entry and catch with a firm push at the end.The paddles also give more thrust which gives the swimmer more time between each stroke to focus and get it right.This will not do the kind of damage described.Shoulder damage will come from low elbows(which why people clip hands when passing) and placing pressure too early. At the end of the day we are all wearing ourselves out.The poor technique will do it faster.We call paddle freaks who use them all the time "chalky shoulders" .Dont use them when fatigued ,for long sets or very hard sprints unless you have really good technique.They do build strength as well.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Fishgrrl is on the right track here. My advice to people who haven't corrected their technique by age 35 years is not to ever use paddles.If your technique is wrong you will do damage but not as much damage as swimming with poor technique does. We all make fun of Toys (crutches).I beleive kick boards and large fins are just that ,crutches.Paddles & buoys are also crutches however they have a purpose.Using the the paddles allows greater feel or pressure on the stroke and can enhance the stroke if the pressure is applied correctly at the back end of the stroke.That is a gentle entry and catch with a firm push at the end.The paddles also give more thrust which gives the swimmer more time between each stroke to focus and get it right.This will not do the kind of damage described.Shoulder damage will come from low elbows(which why people clip hands when passing) and placing pressure too early. At the end of the day we are all wearing ourselves out.The poor technique will do it faster.We call paddle freaks who use them all the time "chalky shoulders" .Dont use them when fatigued ,for long sets or very hard sprints unless you have really good technique.They do build strength as well.
Children
No Data