Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • I've written about kicking in Swim Faster Faster Kicking fast is the key to swimming fast. forums.usms.org/showthread.php You need to STOP USING FINS STOP saying and believing you can't kick fast The big problem is the coach assigns a kick set, the "bad kickers" move to the back of the lane, then proceed to plod through the kick set. (I used to be a bad kicker then I became one of the best kickers on the team.) Begin by improving your 25 kicking speed Time yourself for an all out 25 kick from a dive in streamline position with no board find out where you are Then time yourself once a week or every other week Train and Improve Start doing sprint kick sets with lots of rest between each fast kick do sets like: 4 x (3 x 25 swim easy on :45 or 1:00, followed by one 25 FAST kick for time) YOU'VE really GOT TO GO FOR IT on the fast kick. Pretend it's a LIFE or DEATH MATTER, put forth THAT kind of effort. Pay attention to your times and work on improving them from one week to the next. (Also do half length sprints, learn how to: 1) move your feet fast and 2) catch and feel water with your feet ) I swear this WILL WORK You'll see remarkable improvements in your kick. Also you might not have that great of a toe point it helps to stretch your ankles / feet and improve your feet flexibility. generally the more flexible your foot is the faster you can kick once you have speed then start working on speed endurance start doing 50's, 75's and 100's ALSO Start learning how to use your new and improved kick when you swim, especially swimming. Come up to Austin some time and I'll work with you in person or if I ever go down to the coast we can meet at the Aransas Pass pool or where you practice. Ande Originally posted by Blue Horn I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
  • I've written about kicking in Swim Faster Faster Kicking fast is the key to swimming fast. forums.usms.org/showthread.php You need to STOP USING FINS STOP saying and believing you can't kick fast The big problem is the coach assigns a kick set, the "bad kickers" move to the back of the lane, then proceed to plod through the kick set. (I used to be a bad kicker then I became one of the best kickers on the team.) Begin by improving your 25 kicking speed Time yourself for an all out 25 kick from a dive in streamline position with no board find out where you are Then time yourself once a week or every other week Train and Improve Start doing sprint kick sets with lots of rest between each fast kick do sets like: 4 x (3 x 25 swim easy on :45 or 1:00, followed by one 25 FAST kick for time) YOU'VE really GOT TO GO FOR IT on the fast kick. Pretend it's a LIFE or DEATH MATTER, put forth THAT kind of effort. Pay attention to your times and work on improving them from one week to the next. (Also do half length sprints, learn how to: 1) move your feet fast and 2) catch and feel water with your feet ) I swear this WILL WORK You'll see remarkable improvements in your kick. Also you might not have that great of a toe point it helps to stretch your ankles / feet and improve your feet flexibility. generally the more flexible your foot is the faster you can kick once you have speed then start working on speed endurance start doing 50's, 75's and 100's ALSO Start learning how to use your new and improved kick when you swim, especially swimming. Come up to Austin some time and I'll work with you in person or if I ever go down to the coast we can meet at the Aransas Pass pool or where you practice. Ande Originally posted by Blue Horn I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Children
No Data