Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Regarding the 3 meals a day...I've heard just the opposite is better, that you should eat smaller snacks throughout the day. I swim in the morning (6am), and don't eat anything before it. Once I get to the office (about 8am), I snack on nuts, granola, and have a sandwich (usually turkey--at about 10am). I eat lunch at around 12:45 (a small leftover dinner usually), then snack on carrots, grapes, an apple, etc throughout the afternoon. Dinner is at about 6:30pm, and it is the biggest meal all at once. If I have any dessert it will usually be at about 8pm. But truthfully, even with swimming 5 days a week, losing weight was a struggle. I added in walking over my lunch back in March, and the weight started coming off. In April, I added in weights 3x week, and initially, weight came off even more. With my new routine, my weight will vary from 180 to 185, which I'm generally happy with. Lifting weights has probably added some muscle, which weighs more than fat, so I think this is a safe level. I have to agree with the alchol consumption too. I used to drink a glass of wine with regular dinner sometimes 3x week. That since stopped, now I only drink on weekends, and even then it is far less. Also, I used to have a Coke everday with lunch...amazing the difference that alone gives.
  • Regarding the 3 meals a day...I've heard just the opposite is better, that you should eat smaller snacks throughout the day. I swim in the morning (6am), and don't eat anything before it. Once I get to the office (about 8am), I snack on nuts, granola, and have a sandwich (usually turkey--at about 10am). I eat lunch at around 12:45 (a small leftover dinner usually), then snack on carrots, grapes, an apple, etc throughout the afternoon. Dinner is at about 6:30pm, and it is the biggest meal all at once. If I have any dessert it will usually be at about 8pm. But truthfully, even with swimming 5 days a week, losing weight was a struggle. I added in walking over my lunch back in March, and the weight started coming off. In April, I added in weights 3x week, and initially, weight came off even more. With my new routine, my weight will vary from 180 to 185, which I'm generally happy with. Lifting weights has probably added some muscle, which weighs more than fat, so I think this is a safe level. I have to agree with the alchol consumption too. I used to drink a glass of wine with regular dinner sometimes 3x week. That since stopped, now I only drink on weekends, and even then it is far less. Also, I used to have a Coke everday with lunch...amazing the difference that alone gives.
Children
No Data