Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I find that I achieve a given level of weight when I do a given regimen of workout. If I increase my distance and intensity a given amount, I quickly drop some amount of weight, and then stay there as long as I keep that workout schedule. If I drop back to my old level, I put back on the weight I had before the increase in workout, and stay there. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to my caloric intake. I know it is high. Way high. I do not shy away from the potlucks at work. Never turned down an invitation to a picnic. Back in 1993 I participated in a study at the Olympic Training Center, and one of the elements of the study was a diet analysis. I averaged over 4000 calories per day. They also did a body fat analysis. At the time I had 11% body fat and weighed 219. Since then I have been as high as 249 (beginning of 2005), but was averaging in the lower 240s. In March of 2005 I decided I wanted to swim in a 2.4 mile open water swim. I upped my workouts from 2500 yards, 6 days per week, to 4200-4500 yards, 6 days per week. By August I had dropped to a range of 226-233. I'm still there today. I'm curious to have a body fat analysis done again, because I believe I have added muscle mass, and not just fat, since my 219 days.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I find that I achieve a given level of weight when I do a given regimen of workout. If I increase my distance and intensity a given amount, I quickly drop some amount of weight, and then stay there as long as I keep that workout schedule. If I drop back to my old level, I put back on the weight I had before the increase in workout, and stay there. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to my caloric intake. I know it is high. Way high. I do not shy away from the potlucks at work. Never turned down an invitation to a picnic. Back in 1993 I participated in a study at the Olympic Training Center, and one of the elements of the study was a diet analysis. I averaged over 4000 calories per day. They also did a body fat analysis. At the time I had 11% body fat and weighed 219. Since then I have been as high as 249 (beginning of 2005), but was averaging in the lower 240s. In March of 2005 I decided I wanted to swim in a 2.4 mile open water swim. I upped my workouts from 2500 yards, 6 days per week, to 4200-4500 yards, 6 days per week. By August I had dropped to a range of 226-233. I'm still there today. I'm curious to have a body fat analysis done again, because I believe I have added muscle mass, and not just fat, since my 219 days.
Children
No Data