Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    MichiganHusker: Glad to hear you are back in the pool. I understand your walking and biking predicament especially due to those Michigan winters. Are you on a team? If so, add some fins to your routine. Talk with your coach about it: when they are doing a set of 100's, kick them with fins instead. You'll make the same interval as if you were swimming. The reason I say this, is when I need to shape up, I kick more (usually 200 backstrokes). Also fast/moderate sets will increase your metabolism and burn more calories--such as 25 fast, 50 moderate. I think just making a commitment and sticking with a routine is beneficial. What the aerobic swimming is doing is toning your body, as fishgrrl wrote, combining that with some food modification will help. Be sure and hydrate while you swim, it helps from gorging after practice! Which I'm sure we all have done. Best of luck, the board here is great for inspiration and advice.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    MichiganHusker: Glad to hear you are back in the pool. I understand your walking and biking predicament especially due to those Michigan winters. Are you on a team? If so, add some fins to your routine. Talk with your coach about it: when they are doing a set of 100's, kick them with fins instead. You'll make the same interval as if you were swimming. The reason I say this, is when I need to shape up, I kick more (usually 200 backstrokes). Also fast/moderate sets will increase your metabolism and burn more calories--such as 25 fast, 50 moderate. I think just making a commitment and sticking with a routine is beneficial. What the aerobic swimming is doing is toning your body, as fishgrrl wrote, combining that with some food modification will help. Be sure and hydrate while you swim, it helps from gorging after practice! Which I'm sure we all have done. Best of luck, the board here is great for inspiration and advice.
Children
No Data