Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am speaking of the masters swimmer - 3-4 times a week swimming for 1 to 1 1/2 hours with 2000 yds+. I did a search of former threads and there was some discussion about weight loss but mostly the successes were posted by men. I just started back in the water after 25 years and many pounds. While I realize it took me many years to gain the weight, I want to lose it now! :p Swimming is the only sport that really feels natural to me. I hate running & aerobics, I can tolerate walking and cycling is great when the weather is good, but Michigan's cycling season is rather short (too hot or too cold). I'm glad to know that if I don't see immediate results on the scale not to panic.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am speaking of the masters swimmer - 3-4 times a week swimming for 1 to 1 1/2 hours with 2000 yds+. I did a search of former threads and there was some discussion about weight loss but mostly the successes were posted by men. I just started back in the water after 25 years and many pounds. While I realize it took me many years to gain the weight, I want to lose it now! :p Swimming is the only sport that really feels natural to me. I hate running & aerobics, I can tolerate walking and cycling is great when the weather is good, but Michigan's cycling season is rather short (too hot or too cold). I'm glad to know that if I don't see immediate results on the scale not to panic.
Children
No Data