Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    From what I recall in a kinesiology class many years ago, weight loss in swimming is gradual. You may maintain the weight you began with when beginning for a month or longer, but you will "look" different, meaning the weight will be re-distributed. If you are looking to lose weight add another activity such as walking, bike riding, or circuit weight training with alot of reps on a low weight. And of course eat better. As far as fitness experts, I just think their expertise is in the gym setting and not at the pool. As far as being competitve, do you mean Master's swimmers? Sure, I've seen some larger athletes at meets, but generally no. As far as the younger set, no. Like the previous post, those young people are burning too many calories to sustain any weight beyond what they burn the next day. Now for rec swimmers, I've seen plenty who never lose any weight and that's due to the level of effort they do or don't put into the workout or swim.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    From what I recall in a kinesiology class many years ago, weight loss in swimming is gradual. You may maintain the weight you began with when beginning for a month or longer, but you will "look" different, meaning the weight will be re-distributed. If you are looking to lose weight add another activity such as walking, bike riding, or circuit weight training with alot of reps on a low weight. And of course eat better. As far as fitness experts, I just think their expertise is in the gym setting and not at the pool. As far as being competitve, do you mean Master's swimmers? Sure, I've seen some larger athletes at meets, but generally no. As far as the younger set, no. Like the previous post, those young people are burning too many calories to sustain any weight beyond what they burn the next day. Now for rec swimmers, I've seen plenty who never lose any weight and that's due to the level of effort they do or don't put into the workout or swim.
Children
No Data