I coughed and threw out my back. Help.

Former Member
Former Member
Ow. I am still a bit under the weather due to a nasty cold. Anyway, this morning I was in the bathroom coughing up some green stuff...and the coughs were particularly violent. I threw out my back. I'm having what seems to be muscle spasms in my lower lower back. I don't know what to do. To make things worse, tomorrow is the first official day of practice for the university swim team. I really want to go, and I really want to swim. How do I fix this so I can swim by tomorrow? And should I tell my coach what I did today via e-mail? Will she believe me? Since it's the start of the season, will I even get to stay on the team after this? Help me. Update: I went and saw a Doc at my student care center today. Apparently I have Piriformis Syndrome which is causing sciatica in my left side. 4-6 weeks to heal. Anyone had this before?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    little tiny triangular shaped muscle in your butt can cause alot of trouble. there are some stretches that can be done to help "release" it. Mine tends to get tender when my SI joint goes "out" (and it isn't for lunch!). It also happens, on my left side, when I sit with my left leg crossed over the right at the knee for extended periods of time. Mine started to give me trouble after I herniated a disk and had surgery on it. The surgery was fine but about 2-3 months later--the middle of my left butt cheek got tender. I had to have 2 rounds of steroid injections to the the damn thing to relax. They did them under CAT scan guidance as the muscle isn't that big and lies really close to the sciatic nerve. You don't want someone going in there blind and injecting it. Usually when the sciatic nerve is irritated--you have a great chance of having the piriformis act up too!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    little tiny triangular shaped muscle in your butt can cause alot of trouble. there are some stretches that can be done to help "release" it. Mine tends to get tender when my SI joint goes "out" (and it isn't for lunch!). It also happens, on my left side, when I sit with my left leg crossed over the right at the knee for extended periods of time. Mine started to give me trouble after I herniated a disk and had surgery on it. The surgery was fine but about 2-3 months later--the middle of my left butt cheek got tender. I had to have 2 rounds of steroid injections to the the damn thing to relax. They did them under CAT scan guidance as the muscle isn't that big and lies really close to the sciatic nerve. You don't want someone going in there blind and injecting it. Usually when the sciatic nerve is irritated--you have a great chance of having the piriformis act up too!!
Children
No Data