I coughed and threw out my back. Help.

Former Member
Former Member
Ow. I am still a bit under the weather due to a nasty cold. Anyway, this morning I was in the bathroom coughing up some green stuff...and the coughs were particularly violent. I threw out my back. I'm having what seems to be muscle spasms in my lower lower back. I don't know what to do. To make things worse, tomorrow is the first official day of practice for the university swim team. I really want to go, and I really want to swim. How do I fix this so I can swim by tomorrow? And should I tell my coach what I did today via e-mail? Will she believe me? Since it's the start of the season, will I even get to stay on the team after this? Help me. Update: I went and saw a Doc at my student care center today. Apparently I have Piriformis Syndrome which is causing sciatica in my left side. 4-6 weeks to heal. Anyone had this before?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Isn't it funny (strange, not humorous) how we pull muscles in our backs/necks doing some of the most innocent things. I have pulled muscles tying my shoe, turning quickly to see what car is beeping at me, leaning over the sink doing dishes... No problem moving boxes up to the attic, or tilling the garden, or carrying bags of cement. But reach out the drivers window to give the toll booth lady her money and ... ZINGGG ... I have a pain in the neck for the next few days. You need to determine whether the pain is actually a pull or a tear in the muscle, or if it is a cramp. If the latter, a good massage therapist can work it out for you. If the former, you'll have to work through it. I find ibuprofin works best for me for stuff like this. I also find that it is less likely to happen if I have been keeping up with my routine chiropractic adjustments.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Isn't it funny (strange, not humorous) how we pull muscles in our backs/necks doing some of the most innocent things. I have pulled muscles tying my shoe, turning quickly to see what car is beeping at me, leaning over the sink doing dishes... No problem moving boxes up to the attic, or tilling the garden, or carrying bags of cement. But reach out the drivers window to give the toll booth lady her money and ... ZINGGG ... I have a pain in the neck for the next few days. You need to determine whether the pain is actually a pull or a tear in the muscle, or if it is a cramp. If the latter, a good massage therapist can work it out for you. If the former, you'll have to work through it. I find ibuprofin works best for me for stuff like this. I also find that it is less likely to happen if I have been keeping up with my routine chiropractic adjustments.
Children
No Data