I coughed and threw out my back. Help.

Former Member
Former Member
Ow. I am still a bit under the weather due to a nasty cold. Anyway, this morning I was in the bathroom coughing up some green stuff...and the coughs were particularly violent. I threw out my back. I'm having what seems to be muscle spasms in my lower lower back. I don't know what to do. To make things worse, tomorrow is the first official day of practice for the university swim team. I really want to go, and I really want to swim. How do I fix this so I can swim by tomorrow? And should I tell my coach what I did today via e-mail? Will she believe me? Since it's the start of the season, will I even get to stay on the team after this? Help me. Update: I went and saw a Doc at my student care center today. Apparently I have Piriformis Syndrome which is causing sciatica in my left side. 4-6 weeks to heal. Anyone had this before?
Parents
  • Originally posted by hmlee Inversion table? No. My mom happens to be in chiropractic school so I called her. She suggested rest and alternating ice and heat with doing some sort of extension thing whenever I stand up. Hopefully it's not that serious. I don't need a disc problem before I'm 20! I have some back issues, and heat helps the most, so I would apply heat on it. The cough should be checked out as you have had it for awhile. Also, swimming actually helps my back. I would not do anything really hard, but stretching out in the pool usually helps quite a bit.
  • Originally posted by hmlee Inversion table? No. My mom happens to be in chiropractic school so I called her. She suggested rest and alternating ice and heat with doing some sort of extension thing whenever I stand up. Hopefully it's not that serious. I don't need a disc problem before I'm 20! I have some back issues, and heat helps the most, so I would apply heat on it. The cough should be checked out as you have had it for awhile. Also, swimming actually helps my back. I would not do anything really hard, but stretching out in the pool usually helps quite a bit.
Children
No Data