I coughed and threw out my back. Help.

Former Member
Former Member
Ow. I am still a bit under the weather due to a nasty cold. Anyway, this morning I was in the bathroom coughing up some green stuff...and the coughs were particularly violent. I threw out my back. I'm having what seems to be muscle spasms in my lower lower back. I don't know what to do. To make things worse, tomorrow is the first official day of practice for the university swim team. I really want to go, and I really want to swim. How do I fix this so I can swim by tomorrow? And should I tell my coach what I did today via e-mail? Will she believe me? Since it's the start of the season, will I even get to stay on the team after this? Help me. Update: I went and saw a Doc at my student care center today. Apparently I have Piriformis Syndrome which is causing sciatica in my left side. 4-6 weeks to heal. Anyone had this before?
Parents
  • I know how you feel. My back muscles are always in some state of tightness. Coughing can be dangerous to your back. One way to help loosen the muscles up is to take 2 tennis balls, lay down on the floor on your back. Place the tennis balls one on either side of the spine in the area you are feeling the muscle tightness in. This always helps my back out. I sometimes have to do this for as long as an hour on various points on my back. Hope it gives you some relief. Donna
  • I know how you feel. My back muscles are always in some state of tightness. Coughing can be dangerous to your back. One way to help loosen the muscles up is to take 2 tennis balls, lay down on the floor on your back. Place the tennis balls one on either side of the spine in the area you are feeling the muscle tightness in. This always helps my back out. I sometimes have to do this for as long as an hour on various points on my back. Hope it gives you some relief. Donna
Children
No Data