Breaststroke Ankle Flexibility

Wondering if anyone out there might have some ideas about improving ankle flexibility for the breaststroke. I realize how important it is to turn out the feet prior to the power phase of the kick, and I would appreciate any drills or dry land exercises that helped you develop this.

As always,  thanks for your input!

Parents
  • It is not just the ankles, but also the knees and particularly the hips where flexibility is important. You need to be careful. It’s very easy to overdo and strain particularly the knees. One stretch that I do which seems fairly safe is to lie down prone, then bring your feet up to the breaststroke catch position getting your feet as close to your butt as possible. Turn your feet out to where you want it for the catch then reach down with your hands gently grab your feet just above the toes and gently pull when you get as far as you comfortably can hold it for 30 seconds. 

• It is not just the ankles, but also the knees and particularly the hips where flexibility is important. You need to be careful. It’s very easy to overdo and strain particularly the knees. One stretch that I do which seems fairly safe is to lie down prone, then bring your feet up to the breaststroke catch position getting your feet as close to your butt as possible. Turn your feet out to where you want it for the catch then reach down with your hands gently grab your feet just above the toes and gently pull when you get as far as you comfortably can hold it for 30 seconds. 

Children
No Data