First 200 Breaststroke in 5 years: Please critique?

I "raced" (it was slow!) 200 Yard Breaststroke for the first time in five years, yesterday, even though breaststroke is my best stroke.  This distance in this particular stroke has always been the most physically demanding for me due to my arms always being out in front of my shoulders-- the only stroke where this is the case.  Between having past surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome (left side surgery; rehab without surgery on the right side) and having dysautonomia, the motion of the arms presents a physical challenge that I don't experience in butterfly, a more physically demanding stroke for most swimmers.

So, here's a video of my race.  My stroke count was high; 9, 11's, and 12-12-12.  I used to start off with 6 and max out at 10 for my last two 25's.  I also raced it about 20 seconds faster five years ago!  (On the other hand, it was a fast meet, yesterday.  I swam the 50 Br, 200 Fly, 200 Bk, and 200 IM before it-- all in less than 90 minutes.)

Care to critique?  Constructive criticism and suggestions welcomed, because I would like to keep challenging myself to successfully complete this race without tipping over physically with my autonomic nervous system!  Thanks!

Parents
  • Your technique looks excellent! Much better than the fella in lane 3 Slight smile

I think he just beat you on stroke rate / turnover. I don't know very much about dysautonomia, so it might prevent you from taking quicker strokes, but if you can get to the kick faster, I think you could drop some serious time and start lapping people! Your stroke looks really really good.

• Thanks, Tyler!  Yeah, that's my buddy, Mark.  He's 58 and I'm 62.  Mark ended up with a DQ on that race.  Watching the video, I think it was a bad touch before one of his turns at the blocks end.  I don't think he touched both hands at the same time; it looks like one slipped(?).

Anyway, I haven't been training much breaststroke, because of my dysautonomia issues as well as being obsessed with improving my 200 fly and 200 backstroke.  I used to have a better stroke, especially my kick.  This is the first time in a long time King Frog (Allen Stark) has commented on my kick needing improvement, so I need to sharpen my technique back up to snuff!

Having said that, I appreciate your positive feedback, especially after the other thread screw-up on my part. Worried

• Thanks, Tyler!  Yeah, that's my buddy, Mark.  He's 58 and I'm 62.  Mark ended up with a DQ on that race.  Watching the video, I think it was a bad touch before one of his turns at the blocks end.  I don't think he touched both hands at the same time; it looks like one slipped(?).

Anyway, I haven't been training much breaststroke, because of my dysautonomia issues as well as being obsessed with improving my 200 fly and 200 backstroke.  I used to have a better stroke, especially my kick.  This is the first time in a long time King Frog (Allen Stark) has commented on my kick needing improvement, so I need to sharpen my technique back up to snuff!

Having said that, I appreciate your positive feedback, especially after the other thread screw-up on my part. Worried

Children
No Data