Wow! First time in a competition pool - what a difference. Anyone else?

Transitioning from mostly a solo swimmer in a 4' deep, 3 lane pool with slab sides at the local Gold's gym to actual Masters practices.  Have done some 25M stuff with one team, but have started with a different team.  First team was great, but most folks there are tri-athletes, and the practices seem geared a little more towards that.  This team is mostly pool swimmers who are training for meets, etc.  So this team is a better fit for my goals.  Been at it a couple of weeks after recovering from my first bout with COVID.

Anyhoo........so I'm now in a real pool.  8' deep, good gutters, lane ropes as big in diameter as basketballs, and not set at 84-86 degrees.  It is U. of Tenn pool, FWIW.  First time I go out, my stroke count is 1-2 strokes fewer than Gold's.  My "cruise" pace is 1:15/100, rather than 1:20.  Wow, I knew the pools made a difference, I always just assumed it was for racing.  But training is huge, too.  I still haven't gotten back to pre-2020 levels (fighting life's clock vs getting back to a good training regimen), especially with Fly or sprinting.  But man, I was blown away by the difference.

Anyone else experience anything like that?  Is that typical, or maybe the team environment is a bigger factor?

Parents
  • I train in a pool somewhat similar to yours at Gold's Gym.  It's a 5-lane pool with two lanes roped off.  The depth is 5 feet at the deepest, and the water temp. is 83-84.  When I go to another pool to race, my times are always faster than my practice times due to the pool being faster and cooler.  I always love that! 

On December 9, I was in a SCM meet at Georgia Tech.  It was a big shock to the system to swim in a 78-degree pool with cool indoor air.  As much as I loved it at the time, my body didn't.  I have dysautonomia and Raynaud's, so my internal thermostat got whacked out.  I've been paying for it ever since with my body temperature ranging from 95.6 at night to a peak of 97.3 during the day.  (My normal is 98.1).  I also experienced 4 hours straight of severe muscle spasms and Restless Leg Syndrome late at night, the next night after the meet.  It was a living hell!

• I am so sorry you had that experience. That sounds miserable .I haven't had any experience nearly that bad, I have always been sensitive to cold and have found warm ups in 78 degree water to be problematic. I agree 78 degrees is faster for racing and I have never noticed the water temperature during a race, but the warm up is another issue. As I get older I can't just warmup with any real pace at first and sometimes, if the water and air are cool, I feel colder by the end of "warmup", not warmed up. At my last meet I had a race I really wasn't satisfied with after such a "warmup" so for the rest of the meet I did dryland warmups and had much better results.

• Interesting.  I guess I got somewhat used to colder water when COVID hit and I did a lot of open water stuff.  But I typically have the opposite problem.  The gyms here just keep the water too warm.  I tried one gym when Gold's was having issues.  3 day pass - day 1 was 88, day 2 was 89, and I was so dehydrated that I felt horrible, and didn't bother with day 3.  But now I love the cooler water.  At Gold's, Ill go through a quart water bottle in a 3-3500 yard workout.  Cooler water, less than half that.

But......I will say this (and I offlined with Elaine about this), fins are a problem.  I've done a bit of fly, and the intervals and distance with tthe "choice" sets are too much, so I've added fins so I can do more of the fly, and I have had issues with my calves cramping.  Never had that issue with the hot water.

• Interesting.  I guess I got somewhat used to colder water when COVID hit and I did a lot of open water stuff.  But I typically have the opposite problem.  The gyms here just keep the water too warm.  I tried one gym when Gold's was having issues.  3 day pass - day 1 was 88, day 2 was 89, and I was so dehydrated that I felt horrible, and didn't bother with day 3.  But now I love the cooler water.  At Gold's, Ill go through a quart water bottle in a 3-3500 yard workout.  Cooler water, less than half that.

But......I will say this (and I offlined with Elaine about this), fins are a problem.  I've done a bit of fly, and the intervals and distance with tthe "choice" sets are too much, so I've added fins so I can do more of the fly, and I have had issues with my calves cramping.  Never had that issue with the hot water.

Children
No Data