Breaststroke kick and artificial knee(s)

I’m back in the pool after my brief (about a month) layoff following my October 23rd knee replacement surgery. I just had to wait for the incision to heal. And, I’ve completed all my physical therapy. But, something I read when I was Googling “swimming with artificial knee” said that breaststroke kick should NOT be performed. And although I’m not a consummate breaststroker, I can understand that because I have suffered with breaststroker’s knee (https://motionhealth.com.au/common-conditions/knee/breaststrokers-knee/). But what I don’t recall reading is if refraining from breaststroke kick is something for the rest of my life, or just until the muscles and ligaments around the knee heal properly (which they pretty much have). I’m hoping other knee replacement swimmers can give their experience swimming breaststroke after surgery. — Dan

Parents
  • Good going on getting back into the pool. I had double TKR in 3/21. Started swimming about 2 mos out. Takes a year with Physical Therapy, massage, stretching ,strength training, etc. to get things working well again. I find that better disciplined I am at all of that above, the stronger I feel. My PT worked on BrS kick stretches, I can do that on a limited basis. I also was a runner, never really fast, and as my arthritis progressed running was painful.   I still cycle and compete in short triathlons, or Aquabike events,  mainly practice race walking and using that. Got 4th AG in Senior games Tri 2023, and swam in Senior Games too! Just did Daytona Clash Sprint Tri, 3rd AG.  Keep up with your stretching and strength training, it will pay off. I also use Normatec for legs/hips. Their product, now Hyperice, is great for massage. My husband and I have gotten our $$ worth out of them! Good luck. 

• DebES,

You have done very well - congrats!

Paul

• Thanks, just trying to stay afloat! haha

Reply Children
No Data