First OWS Event!

Hi! I’m  new to OWS and currently training for my first event (1 mile in a lake). What do you wish you knew when you first started open water swimming? Training tips? Other tips? Thank you all! 

Parents
  • Thank you all! This is so helpful. I also appreciate the encouragement. 

• I've gotten to do a fair amount of OWS this summer and should have access to a lake for practice 1-2 days a week most weeks pre-race.
    • When I don't have access to open water, I'm swimming longer distances in the pool, up to a mile most days of the week.
    • The lake I am training in has less visibility than the one for the event. I won't be able to get into the event lake until the weekend of the event.
    • I am nervous about the start and contact sport elements you all mention. Thank you for the suggestions to "avoid the mayhem,' as Paul puts it.

I'll let you all know how it goes in about 8 weeks! 

All my best, Kathryn

• Thank you all! This is so helpful. I also appreciate the encouragement. 

• I've gotten to do a fair amount of OWS this summer and should have access to a lake for practice 1-2 days a week most weeks pre-race.
    • When I don't have access to open water, I'm swimming longer distances in the pool, up to a mile most days of the week.
    • The lake I am training in has less visibility than the one for the event. I won't be able to get into the event lake until the weekend of the event.
    • I am nervous about the start and contact sport elements you all mention. Thank you for the suggestions to "avoid the mayhem,' as Paul puts it.

I'll let you all know how it goes in about 8 weeks! 

All my best, Kathryn

Children
No Data