First OWS Event!

Hi! I’m  new to OWS and currently training for my first event (1 mile in a lake). What do you wish you knew when you first started open water swimming? Training tips? Other tips? Thank you all! 

Parents
  • I got the impression that you were looking for just our #1 suggestion. But Windrath’s list is spot-on. I would add:
    If possible, try to get accustom to the specific course. Does it have lots of flotsam that you may encounter? Even a fresh water lake can have seaweed, sticks/branches, etc. Swimming into a clump of seaweed may be startling, but not otherwise painful. Swimming into a branch or log can be painful. I guess you don’t have to worry about stinging or biting things too much…unless it’s a lake where gators and snakes can be present. But those things generally shy away from crowds. Is it a man-made lake, or associated with a river, and has a current? Will you have to swim against that current (on an out-and-back course)? You probably want to experience that current beforehand. If you’re against the current on the second half of the swim…it will required some fortitude to swim against it. Also be aware of what the weather will be doing during your event. The wind can cause noticeable chop and turbulence, even in a lake, that can really impact swimmers. You may want to experience that prior to your event also. Head-on into the wind AND the current is a double whammy.  And the Sun. Where will it be while you’re swimming? If you have to look right into it while you’re trying to sight/navigate, that can be difficult. I use dark goggles to help reduce the glare. Good luck, and have fun.
    Dan
  • I got the impression that you were looking for just our #1 suggestion. But Windrath’s list is spot-on. I would add:
    If possible, try to get accustom to the specific course. Does it have lots of flotsam that you may encounter? Even a fresh water lake can have seaweed, sticks/branches, etc. Swimming into a clump of seaweed may be startling, but not otherwise painful. Swimming into a branch or log can be painful. I guess you don’t have to worry about stinging or biting things too much…unless it’s a lake where gators and snakes can be present. But those things generally shy away from crowds. Is it a man-made lake, or associated with a river, and has a current? Will you have to swim against that current (on an out-and-back course)? You probably want to experience that current beforehand. If you’re against the current on the second half of the swim…it will required some fortitude to swim against it. Also be aware of what the weather will be doing during your event. The wind can cause noticeable chop and turbulence, even in a lake, that can really impact swimmers. You may want to experience that prior to your event also. Head-on into the wind AND the current is a double whammy.  And the Sun. Where will it be while you’re swimming? If you have to look right into it while you’re trying to sight/navigate, that can be difficult. I use dark goggles to help reduce the glare. Good luck, and have fun.
    Dan
Children
No Data