Slower times with aging

In my youth (ages 9-18), I swam for a club team in the summers and was really only a middling swimmer. I never swam year round and focused on other sports. We only swam SCM back then. I had a 1:22.5 best in 100 m breaststroke and a best relay split of about 35.5. In freestyle, I swam only the 50 in the relay on occasion and I clocked in about 28.7.

After a 35 year layoff, I got back into swimming in 2012. I was pleasantly surprised to go under 40 in 50 m breast (39.42 my first time at age 54, and a masters PB of 38.82 in a non-sanctioned meet at age 60!) and I got down to 30.37 in 50 m free at age 55. In yards, I did 35.11 in 50-breast, and 15.47 in 25 yard breast the same day, which is the best time listed for that year (I understand many serious swimmers skip this event, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I still think it is a very good time). I once did 39.8 in LCM at 60, which I was also pretty happy with.

I'm now 65. After still getting under 40 last summer in a non-sanctioned SCM meet (39.55), at age 64, I did 41.28 this year. In 50 m free, I did 32.10 last summer at 64 and 33.28 this year. My training was not a lot different. I'm guessing some of it could be hand-held timing which is done mostly by teenagers and is probably a bit unreliable, but assuming these times are accurate, is slowing down this much expected? It looks like the difference in world record times between the 60-64 and 65-69 age groups in 50 SCM breast is about 2.73 seconds, but this doesn't necessarily mean anything (Rick Colella is a former Olympian and a great swimmer, but Arturo's times are insane). Increasing almost two seconds in a year is pretty disappointing. 

So I guess I have two questions: 1) Is this normal and should I just accept the inevitable 2) Is there anything I can do to slow down or even reverse aging (as a swimmer). I'm already taking a ton of supplements, including P2Life, and I've lost a lot of weight and kept it off. 

Parents
  • A couple of years ago, I performed a detailed analysis of how Masters swimmers should be expected to slow down with age. It was based on the record times at each age (not age group) for both men and women in all 18 standard USMS events. I don’t see a way to attach the pdf file to this chain, but please e-mail me at jerry.r.meyer.civ@us.navy.mil to request a copy. There is also an Excel spread sheet that compares your “age-handicapped” times at various ages in each event. The idea is that while it is inevitable that you will eventually slow down with age, if you can beat the handicapping curve you’re ahead of the game!

• A couple of years ago, I performed a detailed analysis of how Masters swimmers should be expected to slow down with age. It was based on the record times at each age (not age group) for both men and women in all 18 standard USMS events. I don’t see a way to attach the pdf file to this chain, but please e-mail me at jerry.r.meyer.civ@us.navy.mil to request a copy. There is also an Excel spread sheet that compares your “age-handicapped” times at various ages in each event. The idea is that while it is inevitable that you will eventually slow down with age, if you can beat the handicapping curve you’re ahead of the game!

Children
No Data