Slower times with aging

In my youth (ages 9-18), I swam for a club team in the summers and was really only a middling swimmer. I never swam year round and focused on other sports. We only swam SCM back then. I had a 1:22.5 best in 100 m breaststroke and a best relay split of about 35.5. In freestyle, I swam only the 50 in the relay on occasion and I clocked in about 28.7.

After a 35 year layoff, I got back into swimming in 2012. I was pleasantly surprised to go under 40 in 50 m breast (39.42 my first time at age 54, and a masters PB of 38.82 in a non-sanctioned meet at age 60!) and I got down to 30.37 in 50 m free at age 55. In yards, I did 35.11 in 50-breast, and 15.47 in 25 yard breast the same day, which is the best time listed for that year (I understand many serious swimmers skip this event, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I still think it is a very good time). I once did 39.8 in LCM at 60, which I was also pretty happy with.

I'm now 65. After still getting under 40 last summer in a non-sanctioned SCM meet (39.55), at age 64, I did 41.28 this year. In 50 m free, I did 32.10 last summer at 64 and 33.28 this year. My training was not a lot different. I'm guessing some of it could be hand-held timing which is done mostly by teenagers and is probably a bit unreliable, but assuming these times are accurate, is slowing down this much expected? It looks like the difference in world record times between the 60-64 and 65-69 age groups in 50 SCM breast is about 2.73 seconds, but this doesn't necessarily mean anything (Rick Colella is a former Olympian and a great swimmer, but Arturo's times are insane). Increasing almost two seconds in a year is pretty disappointing. 

So I guess I have two questions: 1) Is this normal and should I just accept the inevitable 2) Is there anything I can do to slow down or even reverse aging (as a swimmer). I'm already taking a ton of supplements, including P2Life, and I've lost a lot of weight and kept it off. 

Parents
  • I’m currently 62 years old. I’ve been swimming for fitness, and competitive open-water/triathlon since I was about 20 years old. I was never really a competitive pool swimmer, but I have always done various pool workouts. Even into my late 40s, I could swim the 100m free in around 1:00. (I know that’s not fast for most of you. But again…I was never a competitive team/pool swimmer.) When I’d do a pool workout of something like 16x100m or 32x100m, I’d usually set my 100m sets target times to around 1:15 to 1:20. Back then…I thought I’d be able to do that for the rest of my life. I could swim a timed mile (1600m) in the pool in about 22:00 minutes. I actually got under 20:00 now and then. I always had an odd way to kind of determine how fast I was swimming that wasn’t really related to the clock. Bubbles. The amount of my own bubbles I’d swim into after a flip turn, and push off the wall. Like the seconds creeping in over the decades, the bubbles have mitigated. Boy how I long for those days. And now, in my early 60s, I still swim just as much. But, I’m lucky to get under 1:25 for a 100m, and 30:00 for a mile. But…I look on the bright side. I’m still churning up water. I can still go out and do a three-mile+ open water swim with relative ease. It just takes me a little longer.

Dan

• this is Definitely an area that I am interested in. I have been swimming for about a year now after a 24 year lay off from the sport.

I’ll probably be looking for some books / articles . I am always utilizing  my coaches advice. I also try to do a good amount of dry land / weight lifting. I’ll do anything to help myself - improve sleep, utilize massage and maximize healthy eating / nutrition. I have a bad habit of refusing to taper back my workouts before meets. 

• this is Definitely an area that I am interested in. I have been swimming for about a year now after a 24 year lay off from the sport.

I’ll probably be looking for some books / articles . I am always utilizing  my coaches advice. I also try to do a good amount of dry land / weight lifting. I’ll do anything to help myself - improve sleep, utilize massage and maximize healthy eating / nutrition. I have a bad habit of refusing to taper back my workouts before meets. 

Children
No Data