Falling asleep while swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Last night during workout we were doing a long hard set and I was tired and trying to hang on when I found my eyelids drooping :o This happened a couple times and then I had the distinct sensation of suddenly waking up :eek:, looking at the lines on the bottom of the pool and realizing that I was swimming. Has this happened to others? Luckily it's time to start my taper...
Parents
  • Kinda. While it has never happened during a workout with other people in the lane or when the set is particularly hard (In both those cases, I am either to concerned with keeping proper pacing and staying out of everybody's way or dealing with the discomfort of swimming hard). But when I have been doing long and relatively easy set's swimming alone (10 X 500 @ 8:00, hold 7:30 or 5 X 1,000 @ 16:00, hold 15:00) - EN1- pace for me, I have gotten into such a relaxed and rhythmic state, that I have felt like I have gone to sleep. I have actually closed my eyes for an entire length at a time! If not for a wrist watch and snapping back to reality to check the time, I would lose track of where I was in the rep or the set. Its a very cool feeling for me because it is not out of exhaustion, but more like a meditative state. And it usually happens toward the middle of the set. By the last rep or two of the set, my breathing may become labored enough to snap me out of it.
  • Kinda. While it has never happened during a workout with other people in the lane or when the set is particularly hard (In both those cases, I am either to concerned with keeping proper pacing and staying out of everybody's way or dealing with the discomfort of swimming hard). But when I have been doing long and relatively easy set's swimming alone (10 X 500 @ 8:00, hold 7:30 or 5 X 1,000 @ 16:00, hold 15:00) - EN1- pace for me, I have gotten into such a relaxed and rhythmic state, that I have felt like I have gone to sleep. I have actually closed my eyes for an entire length at a time! If not for a wrist watch and snapping back to reality to check the time, I would lose track of where I was in the rep or the set. Its a very cool feeling for me because it is not out of exhaustion, but more like a meditative state. And it usually happens toward the middle of the set. By the last rep or two of the set, my breathing may become labored enough to snap me out of it.
Children
No Data