Will You Please Critique My Butterfly and Breaststroke?

Will you please critique my butterfly?  I have posted this request many times in the past, but I continue to strive to improve my stroke.  At this point, excellent stroke technique is my goal rather than speed.  Distance fly is my preference, and I love competing in the 200 fly.  

Your constructive criticism is most appreciated!

Here's my breaststroke:

Parents
  • Re: BR- I like your timing. I like the recovery of your hands and feet oh, they both look crisp. It's hard for me to see the pull out, but it looks like you're not recovering with your hands close to your body. I know you have some physical issues so take all of the rest of this with a grain of salt. Your pulll is very narrow and you're dropping your elbows. A good drill to work on this is dog paddle with a snorkel. With a snorkel you can go very slowly and with dog paddle you don't put as much stress on your shoulders and elbows as regular breaststroke pull in my experience. With your Kick, you're not getting your toes pointed out far enough. Ideally what you want to get them pointing perpendicular to your body to maximize the propulsive surface. Again this may be a physical limitation. A good safe drill to work on that is to lie down on your stomach and get your feet in the position of the breaststroke catch just pulling them with the with your muscles to get the toes pointed out as far as possible. Take care of yourself and don't do anything that inflames joints 

• Re: BR- I like your timing. I like the recovery of your hands and feet oh, they both look crisp. It's hard for me to see the pull out, but it looks like you're not recovering with your hands close to your body. I know you have some physical issues so take all of the rest of this with a grain of salt. Your pulll is very narrow and you're dropping your elbows. A good drill to work on this is dog paddle with a snorkel. With a snorkel you can go very slowly and with dog paddle you don't put as much stress on your shoulders and elbows as regular breaststroke pull in my experience. With your Kick, you're not getting your toes pointed out far enough. Ideally what you want to get them pointing perpendicular to your body to maximize the propulsive surface. Again this may be a physical limitation. A good safe drill to work on that is to lie down on your stomach and get your feet in the position of the breaststroke catch just pulling them with the with your muscles to get the toes pointed out as far as possible. Take care of yourself and don't do anything that inflames joints 

Children
  • Happy New Year, King Frog!  Thanks for the feedback on my breaststroke.  The width of my pull is in direct correlation to the health of my shoulders.  The worse they feel, the narrower the pull!  Following the holiday craft show season, they're a mess after all the table/booth set-up and take-downs we do.  By the end of January, I'm back to a wider pull; however, it is still narrower than most, per Dr. G's stroke analysis recommendations.  I'll watch the elbows, though; I didn't realize I was dropping them.  Same goes for the toes on the kick.  

Regarding my recovery, that's great news!  I used to have problems getting my elbows in for a straight arm recovery, but I have really concentrated on that.  The same for trying to make it snappy and keeping my head lower.

As for my pull-out recovery, I've gotten sloppy.  I should be able to get my arms in tighter without any problem, so I'll work on that.

Thanks!