workout terminology

I read the glossary of terms but it was too vague.  When a workout calls for 4x100 25 kick 25 drill, what does that mean?  To just kick, are you not using your arms, or are they just out in front of you, by your side?  And do you just breathe when you need to?  Also, what is drill?  The glossary does not explain it, just says it means to focus on a particular part of the stroke????  

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me!  Slight smile

Parents
  • I assume it means kick and drill by 25 (so 2 of each per 100).  For drills, there are several.  I'd look up some on Youtube.  So freestyle can have short arm dog paddle, long arm dog paddle, catch up, fingertip drag, hinge, underwater recovery, alternating sides, and I'm sure I'm missing some.  Oh yeah, Tarzan.  Back in the old forum, the layout was much better, and the coaches could link to videos they preferred.  When you kick, you usually use a kickboard.  I prefer a snorkel, with the board extended, as it maintains body position and forces one to engage their core.  But most folks just put their forearms on the kickboard and keep their heads above the water.

That said, you are asking some pretty basic, fundamental questions.  Have you looked to see if there is a Masters team near you?  I think you'd benefit greatly if you could get in some training under a coach.  95% of my swimming is solo, but I almost always pick up somehting when I am able to swim a coached workout.

Edit, found the channel the guy who was authoring workouts when I started runs.  He has lots of drills here:  www.youtube.com/.../UCa26iqtnKEmH2QURk8sDwAQ

• I assume it means kick and drill by 25 (so 2 of each per 100).  For drills, there are several.  I'd look up some on Youtube.  So freestyle can have short arm dog paddle, long arm dog paddle, catch up, fingertip drag, hinge, underwater recovery, alternating sides, and I'm sure I'm missing some.  Oh yeah, Tarzan.  Back in the old forum, the layout was much better, and the coaches could link to videos they preferred.  When you kick, you usually use a kickboard.  I prefer a snorkel, with the board extended, as it maintains body position and forces one to engage their core.  But most folks just put their forearms on the kickboard and keep their heads above the water.

That said, you are asking some pretty basic, fundamental questions.  Have you looked to see if there is a Masters team near you?  I think you'd benefit greatly if you could get in some training under a coach.  95% of my swimming is solo, but I almost always pick up somehting when I am able to swim a coached workout.

Edit, found the channel the guy who was authoring workouts when I started runs.  He has lots of drills here:  www.youtube.com/.../UCa26iqtnKEmH2QURk8sDwAQ

Children
No Data