What's wrong with this picture? (Pool lane lines)

Our community pool opened for the summer, and here are the lane lines this morning as set up for the time reserved for adult lap swim.  Would you consider this a safety issue?  Help me write a note to my city council.  Or tell me if it's fine.  Setting aside the first lane on the left, are you okay with the straight double lane dividers?

I politely asked two employees about it and their answer boiled down to, "it's a lot of work to change the lines for when family swim starts in a couple of hours".  

Parents
  • Thank you both for replying! It's a small town so the progression is pretty steep. A few local staff (that I spoke with) > city parks director (which is vacant right now) > city council member responsible for that area.

I was trying to think of what to say to a non-swimmer that would illustrate why the lane lines were unacceptable. To a non-swimmer, the picture doesn't look that bad, after all you can just swim around the curves! I eventually emailed the note below. If you think of anything I missed, please let me know since I'll be following up.

It's difficult to be completely aware of your environment when swimming. Your hearing is muffled, and your vision is often focused either straight down to the bottom of the pool (crawl) or up to the sky (backstroke), with brief glimpses to the side to breath. Properly installed lane lines reduce waves from other swimmers, which helps you breath in air instead of water, help keep people from plowing into each other, and help avoid hitting the wall headfirst while doing backstroke. (The red buoys indicate you're getting close to the wall.) Even for good swimmers, it's easy to get disoriented in the water.

Lane dividers that are too wide or not straight are a safety issue. It's easy to do a turn and accidentally push of the wall at an angle, and coming up under or between two lines would be very startling. After a turn is also when you most feel the need to draw a breath and not a good time to be entrapped between two lane lines. It's also super painful to hit a lane line with your hand or foot while pulling or kicking.

So, lane lines are needed for lap swimming, and they need to be reasonably straight, and single lines rather than double.

• Thank you both for replying! It's a small town so the progression is pretty steep. A few local staff (that I spoke with) > city parks director (which is vacant right now) > city council member responsible for that area.

I was trying to think of what to say to a non-swimmer that would illustrate why the lane lines were unacceptable. To a non-swimmer, the picture doesn't look that bad, after all you can just swim around the curves! I eventually emailed the note below. If you think of anything I missed, please let me know since I'll be following up.

It's difficult to be completely aware of your environment when swimming. Your hearing is muffled, and your vision is often focused either straight down to the bottom of the pool (crawl) or up to the sky (backstroke), with brief glimpses to the side to breath. Properly installed lane lines reduce waves from other swimmers, which helps you breath in air instead of water, help keep people from plowing into each other, and help avoid hitting the wall headfirst while doing backstroke. (The red buoys indicate you're getting close to the wall.) Even for good swimmers, it's easy to get disoriented in the water.

Lane dividers that are too wide or not straight are a safety issue. It's easy to do a turn and accidentally push of the wall at an angle, and coming up under or between two lines would be very startling. After a turn is also when you most feel the need to draw a breath and not a good time to be entrapped between two lane lines. It's also super painful to hit a lane line with your hand or foot while pulling or kicking.

So, lane lines are needed for lap swimming, and they need to be reasonably straight, and single lines rather than double.

Children