Long Distance Fly

I'm getting ready to do a Butterfly challenge in which I swim 50 lengths of fly (SCY). I've swum a thousand yards in a single workout with no problem, so the distance itself isn't a big challenge for me, but I'm going to try and do the entire 1,250 yard distance without stopping. This got me thinking maybe I could take on a bigger challenge out in the open water. I have heard there are certain rules for an open water endurance swim to officially count, but I'm having trouble finding anything specific about exactly what those rules are and how to ensure I'm following them. Does anyone have any information on that?

• I think what you’re referring to are the rules for the Marathon Swimmers Federation. — https://marathonswimmers.org/rules/ — However…even if you do it in open water…the distance won’t qualify for a marathon/long distance swim by their standards. It must be at least 10k (6.2 miles) in length. Additionally, there are rules about what you can wear…no neoprene, only a textile fabric suit, goggles, single cap, no touching support boats whatsoever, etc. And, you’d have to go through all the requirements of getting the course distance certified by them. Then, (for MSF’s approval maybe) you probably need to get approval from local authorities (police, beach patrol/rescue, fire/rescue, etc). I have a friend who’s done all this for a group of friends and acquaintances for a marathon swim (I’ve done it a couple times —Around Beavertail Swim (https://www.facebook.com/beavertailswim/). It was pretty involved for him…especially the first time. But, we could have just gone out and done the swim on our own (as a group) and never be recognized by the MSF. Yet it’s nice to have had all that done so that our names are in the MSF record books for having completed a recognized marathon swim. So…if you’re more concerned about raising funds rather than getting in the record books…it might be easier for you to just do it on your own (with safety observers, kayakers, etc)…raise the funds you’re looking for…and not worry so much about all the permits and certifications.

Dan
  • I can't answer your question, but may I suggest you join the Butternuts after your swim?  You can find me listed under "Elaine Krugman" at the link.  I did a 900 yard fly, 2,000 yd., 1,000 yd., and I just added a 500 yd. to celebrate my 60th birthday.  It felt good with no repercussions, so I think I'll do more next time!

Good luck!

• Ok, my heart gets a beating fast when I do 100 flys. I did one 200 yard and 150 yard fly in workouts last year.