Vaccine Mandate

USMS should require proof of Covid vaccinations to participate at meets. This is not and should not be a political statement, people and public health are more important than political capital.

Parents
  • My team requires COVID-19 vaccination to participate at workouts. We've never required other vaccinations; but then again, we've never operated our team during any other active pandemic. A team in a different state where I visit regularly does the same.

A major obstacle to any such policy for USMS as a nationwide organization would be that some states have adopted laws forbidding COVID-19 vaccine mandates. Texas, for instance, host to next spring's short course Nationals, is one such state. If USMS wanted to require COVID-19 vaccination for Nationals but did not want to invite litigation, we would have to move Nationals. That decision might be a wise decision but it wouldn't be a trivial decision and it probably would not even be possible now.

I haven't thought through whether LMSCs in states where vaccine mandates would be lawful could decline to sanction events unless the events required proof of vaccination along with USMS membership. I kind of doubt that they could, within USMS rules. Some host facilities might require vaccination, though, either because the facility has made that decision independently or because local law requires the facility to require it (as in San Francisco, for instance).

• I for one would fully support a move.  We have far too many petulant children making policies in far too many states, nowadays.  I live in one of the worst.  They need to get the message that to participate in society, you just have to act like an adult.

• I am fully faxed and will get the booster soon, I'm looking forward to spring nationals and staying healthy!

Reply Children
No Data