Music in the water

The pool where I swim…which I also lifeguard at very part-time…recently (early this year) began using underwater speakers to play music from internet sources->wifi->iPod. Until earlier this week I wasn’t quite sure why the pool manager had implemented this. I though it was just a fun novelty thing she was trying out. Then, while working a shift the other day, and discussing another patron’s dislike of the music, a fellow lifeguard mentioned that we are required to have it on. I asked how/why it’s “required” and was told that we (the pool) are awaiting arrival of a special laptop that will receive piped-in specifically formatted SPONSORED programming. So this is essentially a placeholder until they get the permanently sponsored source. Now this news has me miffed a little bit because this pool is on a military (Navy) installation (I’m retired Navy). It just doesn’t seem right that we’re being force-fed like this. But whatever. It is what it is I guess. Personally, I didn’t and don’t care for the music while swimming. Other swimmers have mentioned that they don’t care for it either. Even with the volume turned up it’s not really recognizable as music to a lap swimmer. With the water swooshing and splashing you hear about every fifth note/word. I find myself playing a mental version of “Name that tune.” And then if I’m swimming a longer distance it’s causing me to lose track of lap counting. Just wondering if there are any others in the forum that swim at a pool that plays music underwater?

Dan

• Greensboro has it.  They play it for the kids during warm ups.  Kids like it.  One time; however, they screwed up and had them on during one of the announcements, and the announcement went on during a race.  Screwed up at least one kid's focus (not mine).