Olympics Mixed Medley Relay lineup: Who will be chosen?

The trials are over and the drum has been signed!  Now, for the big question:  Which two women and two men will be chosen to swim the first ever Olympics Mixed Medley Relay?  Who will swim which strokes?  Of course, a lot will depend on what happens during the Olympics, and the relay team may not be set in ink until right before the deadline.  Hypothetically, if the team were chosen based on their trials performances, which four swimmers would you choose, and which leg would they swim?

I've been going through various scenarios in my head, and I keep going back to having Regan Smith swim backstroke and Lilly King swim breaststroke.  I would love to see Caeleb Dressel anchor the relay; however, he would be awesome on the fly leg as well.  Nawww, Caeleb MUST anchor the relay!  

Thoughts???

Parents
  • So why do so many people dis the mixed medley relays? They seem quite interesting to me. Also, it's kinda cool that men and women are on the same team. That's a real rarity in sports. Mixed doubles tennis is another example I guess, but the contributions of the men and women are even more equal in the mixed medley relay. Certainly I like the MMR way more than the stroke 50s.

• Mixed medley is fun because of all the different strategies involved - no country has knockout legs in every stroke for both genders so there has to be some game playing done.  I'm OK with the mixed free relays but there's really only one way you can swim it, MMFF, unless you want one of your women eating the waves off the team next to you's dive on the last 10m.  So that takes a lot of the strategy out of it - in fact, there's less strategy there than the single-gender free relays because half the decisions are already made for you.

• The wave eating issue is very true. Maybe mixed relays should be swum every-other-lane. Agree that the MMR is better than the MFR in general anyway.

• I kinda liked the every-other-lane relay setup for all the pandemic college conference and national meets in general!

Reply Children
No Data