Olympics Mixed Medley Relay lineup: Who will be chosen?

The trials are over and the drum has been signed!  Now, for the big question:  Which two women and two men will be chosen to swim the first ever Olympics Mixed Medley Relay?  Who will swim which strokes?  Of course, a lot will depend on what happens during the Olympics, and the relay team may not be set in ink until right before the deadline.  Hypothetically, if the team were chosen based on their trials performances, which four swimmers would you choose, and which leg would they swim?

I've been going through various scenarios in my head, and I keep going back to having Regan Smith swim backstroke and Lilly King swim breaststroke.  I would love to see Caeleb Dressel anchor the relay; however, he would be awesome on the fly leg as well.  Nawww, Caeleb MUST anchor the relay!  

Thoughts???

Parents
  • This is always a tough one. It probably depends on how people look at the time of the meet. My thought is Ryan Murphy back, Lilli King breas,t Caleb Dressler fly, and Simone Manuel free. I know Simone didn't qualify in the 100 and which ever woman is fastest in the 100 is the logical choice, but I'd stick with Simone.

• This is the one I figured too, though I'd sit Weitzel there for now pending coach's decision.  Maybe give Simone a shot at prelims women's 4x1 to see how she looks.  50 free semis are immediately before the finals of this relay though, that's going to be a bit interesting.  It's late enough in the meet that we're going to know pretty well how everyone is performing, so should be able to set up a lineup that isn't going to have chokes or anything. 

I think Murphy, King, and Dressel all have more to give from Trials.  Murphy's semi 100 back was maybe the most technically and tactically perfect race I saw all week, he just tightened up in finals.  King and Dressel obviously weren't fully tapered (and didn't need to be).  Dressel is going to be scary, especially if he has as much fun at the big show as he was having at Trials.

I'm not sure that Smith has much more to give and I think out of anybody at this meet she might be most likely to have issues with the pressure.  Huske is of course an option but Dressel is just light years ahead of anybody in the 100 fly that I have a hard time sitting him out there.  Though the wild card with him is that 100 fly finals and 50 free semis are that night.

• This is the one I figured too, though I'd sit Weitzel there for now pending coach's decision.  Maybe give Simone a shot at prelims women's 4x1 to see how she looks.  50 free semis are immediately before the finals of this relay though, that's going to be a bit interesting.  It's late enough in the meet that we're going to know pretty well how everyone is performing, so should be able to set up a lineup that isn't going to have chokes or anything. 

I think Murphy, King, and Dressel all have more to give from Trials.  Murphy's semi 100 back was maybe the most technically and tactically perfect race I saw all week, he just tightened up in finals.  King and Dressel obviously weren't fully tapered (and didn't need to be).  Dressel is going to be scary, especially if he has as much fun at the big show as he was having at Trials.

I'm not sure that Smith has much more to give and I think out of anybody at this meet she might be most likely to have issues with the pressure.  Huske is of course an option but Dressel is just light years ahead of anybody in the 100 fly that I have a hard time sitting him out there.  Though the wild card with him is that 100 fly finals and 50 free semis are that night.

Children