Shallow end or deep end

During your personal workouts in the pool…do you swim from the shallow end or the deep end? I was thinking about this earlier today while working my lifeguarding shift. Just about every pool I’ve ever swam in…people generally swim from the shallow end. Yet in meets, obviously every event starts and finishes in the deep end (with the exception of 25y/m races in a short course pool, and 50m races in a long course pool). It’s kind of understandable since you can stand in the shallow end. But today while I’m watching swimmers come and go…just like 99.99% of the rest of the time…everyone got in and swam from the shallow end. But then a couple came in and went to the deep end and swam their workout from there. It was just out of the ordinary. I’ve never swam on a team myself…but when my daughter swan in h.s. I remember that the team practices were always from the shallow end. Just seems a little kooky. I was always a track runner in h.s. This would be akin to starting workouts on the far side of the track opposite of the common start/finish line.   

Dan

• Most of the pools I've been to, the shallow end is the one closest to the door/lockers, so I think it's more of a convenience aspect.

• Dan

i think it is a choice of convenience for swimmers and coaches. We get into a routine. Even when we started the ALTS classes at Newport, there is a comfort for beginning swimmers. In Masters practice, the coach can give longer instructions between sets (but that could be fine in the deep end.) 

During  COVID, I have been starting more of my swims from the deep end. I find the it’s rather refreshing an I can start it with a nice dive into the pool and get right away to the “task” of swimming. 

See you out and about the local swimming spots this summer.

in closing as I borrow from our mutual friend, Swim well, seek peace,

• If there's a deep end, I'm working out there.  All the better for my dolphin dive 50 I like to do at the start and end of each workout ;)

• The pool in our community is a 25-yard, 5-lane pool that is 3-1/2-feet deep at the shallowest side, and 5-feet deep on the deepest side.  The two dedicated lap lanes are at the 5 feet side, so the entire lane is the same depth.  I start at the side with the golf course view, rather than the parking lot view, so I can enjoy the beautiful scenery in between sets!  Fortunately, I always get my own lane.