Heating a Home Pool - Alternative to Propane Heater

Are there any energy efficient alternatives to using a propane heater for a home pool I am building?  Someone in my area (Maryland) is using a heat pump, but my pool builder said it would not be a good alternative for me. Of the seven months I expect to use the pool (April through October), I think I will only need to heat it during April, May, and October.  Thanks for any ideas.

Parents
  • Years ago I lived next to a guy who made a crude solar heating panel using yards of black garden hose mounted to plywood painted black. The whole contraption was set/mounted on the roof of the house in clear view of the sky/sun. He ran the return line from the filter up through it. Worked well. I’ve done my own version of this and just lay it on the pool deck early in the season until the water is warm enough.

Dan

• Years ago I lived next to a guy who made a crude solar heating panel using yards of black garden hose mounted to plywood painted black. The whole contraption was set/mounted on the roof of the house in clear view of the sky/sun. He ran the return line from the filter up through it. Worked well. I’ve done my own version of this and just lay it on the pool deck early in the season until the water is warm enough.

Dan

Children